Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really debating getting a Xcal 3 w/ custom tunes. Econo, Tow and Street. No way in heck would I run Looney w/out ARP studs being done. chances are I'd 99.99999% of time leave it on Econo tune. anyone running this file? how does it compare to stock? driveability? savings?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
When I ordered my SCT from DJ the econo tune was never an option. You will get the best economy with the hotter tunes assuming you keep your foot out of it. I have been running Looney without ARP studs and haven't had any problems yet, and if I do end up blowing a head gasket, well there will be ARP studs going in under warranty.

The way Vivian explained things to me about needing studs made sense. If you don't abuse your truck(you can bag on it, but all day every day will cause problems with or without a tune), and if you don't try to tow with the high power tunes installed, chances are you wont be hurting anything. Though there are the odd lemons out there that you will hurt something running stock.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I second that. I run looney all the time and get better mileage over the economy. I hardly ever have to put it all the way to the floor. I haven't popped the head gaskets, and I've had that tune on for about 35k mi.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
X3..... I run the looney everyday for my best milage and have even been trying out there Looney wild tune(Stronger than Looney) for awhile now... I drive my truck pretty hard and no problems here at all.... 45000k all tuned miles

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
X3..... I run the looney everyday for my best milage and have even been trying out there Looney wild tune(Stronger than Looney) for awhile now... I drive my truck pretty hard and no problems here at all.... 45000k all tuned miles
you have 450,000 miles on an 06 SD?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I run the looney also no studs but I should be getting studs put in sometime here soon

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
you have 450,000 miles on an 06 SD?
Yeah I think you read one too many zeros :thumb:........anyway you can Looney at the time...but its all in how you drive the truck and how you take care of it......just NOS, if you use your head you will be fine, but if you want it to break it can do it that too :icon_ford:

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
No, I said it has 45,000:dunno:
figured it was a typo, but you never know. i ran into a guy with an 03 6.0 with 900,000 and still going. He admitted to three tranny's but claimed the original engine and no major work. Him and another guy run 24/7 hauling anything they can for a buck in the pacific northwest. He swore by Lucas fuel treatment.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Looney is to impressive to switch mine to econo...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Run the looney man you will love it,its like driving a amg benz lol cause when you hit the pedal she goes like a bat from hell

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, You guys convinced me... Looney. but I will drive it easy. I deffinately am trying to gain some MPG's back. Looks like my next mods will be coolant filter, Tuner & Tonneau cover.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
you will not need to use all the pedal anyway..

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
:thumb:
Looney is to impressive to switch mine to econo...
Thats what i have heard. But, if that kind of a tune was ok for a daily driver don't you think Ford would have done it a long time ago to increase sales? My majic ball predicts head studs in the future for you:)
Guess I just don't have the.... well you know or the money to risk it at this time but it sure looks like fun

·
Registered
1,727 Posts

Thats what i have heard. But, if that kind of a tune was ok for a daily driver don't you think Ford would have done it a long time ago to increase sales? My majic ball predicts head studs in the future for you:)
Guess I just don't have the.... well you know or the money to risk it at this time but it sure looks like fun
Dj knows his stuff. He designed this tune to get the most out of a STOCK 6.0l. He wouldn't sell the tune if it would damage the engine, and if he did no one would still be buying it. I have run it for a long time with only the egr cooler failing, which would have happened with or without a tune.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Dj knows his stuff. He designed this tune to get the most out of a STOCK 6.0l. He wouldn't sell the tune if it would damage the engine, and if he did no one would still be buying it. I have run it for a long time with only the egr cooler failing, which would have happened with or without a tune.
yeah, the egr is a weak spot and i have been toying with removing mine all together

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I heard he can program to not let the EGR function. does that help increase MPGs?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
yes, but that will not remedy the egr problems. The egr will still crack open under pressure. That's why it's a good idea to go ahead and weld it up while it's out, and get the up pipe plugged off too.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts

Bfloyd, anything could happen with the heads, including on a stocker. FMC will not put a tune like Looney on their trucks because of a little thing called emmision laws... just my opinion...
Feel free to not use it... I have a lot of faith in the people I deal with or I would not use it... :thumb:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Everybody is so concerned over head gaskets - I used to be but now it seems funny. Seems to be there are more than a few dealers out there willing to install studs under warranty with or without issues. Now that mine are done I wish I would have lifted the heads sooner. Cheap insurance in my opinion plus it allows you to step things up to the next level. If I were you I would be trying to lift the heads while I still had warranty left.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts