Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys well I was talking with a buddy of mine that has a turbonetics T4 turbo off of his supra that he is wanting to sell and I had this odd ball hair brained idea of running it sequential with a stock fast spooling VGT. Ok I'm sure some of you are thinking ok so what's so different here, heck Industrial Inj and many others make kits that do this. Well the second part off this is instead of running the piping directly from your 1st stage turbo to your 2nd I thought why not add an additional air to air intercooler in front of your stock system and plumbing the hot side of your 1st stage turbo into the new intercooler then back to the inlet/cold side of your 2nd stage. I know there will be an increase in pressure drop with the additional intercooler but will the drop in IAT's counteract the pressure drop and be worth while. And has anyone ever tried this and what complications did you run into or what complications can y'all foresee by attempting this. Also has anyone tried running a much cheaper gas turbo instead of the designated diesel turbos out there. If so same thing what were the flaws if any or what would be some of the flaws.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ok guys well I was talking with a buddy of mine that has a turbonetics T4 turbo off of his supra that he is wanting to sell and I had this odd ball hair brained idea of running it sequential with a stock fast spooling VGT. Ok I'm sure some of you are thinking ok so what's so different here, heck Industrial Inj and many others make kits that do this. Well the second part off this is instead of running the piping directly from your 1st stage turbo to your 2nd I thought why not add an additional air to air intercooler in front of your stock system and plumbing the hot side of your 1st stage turbo into the new intercooler then back to the inlet/cold side of your 2nd stage. I know there will be an increase in pressure drop with the additional intercooler but will the drop in IAT's counteract the pressure drop and be worth while. And has anyone ever tried this and what complications did you run into or what complications can y'all foresee by attempting this. Also has anyone tried running a much cheaper gas turbo instead of the designated diesel turbos out there. If so same thing what were the flaws if any or what would be some of the flaws.
No. There is so much no in this post it's unreal.

I can't imagine you being able to fit all the required piping under the hood.

·
Boost Professional
151 Posts
No. There is so much no in this post it's unreal.

I can't imagine you being able to fit all the required piping under the hood.
Not to mention the needed space for an additional intercooler. Also by the time the cooling air reached the radiator what good would it do???

·
Registered
2,175 Posts

What size turbo? needs to be t6 ideally. plus turbometics have a reputation of not lasting on diesels.

You would be better off adding a air to water intercooler instead of a air to air. but even then its not really needed because the primary turbo doesnt make all that much boost so not that much heat. plus the room that has already been addressed.

Tuning is going to be a big deal here. No one has been able to make a stock turbo last in a compound set up. Not saying it cant be done but you may blow up a few before you get it right and by then you would buy new turbos that have been proven to work.

edit: I see you have a smoke switch. you must know what your doing, carry on. you got this!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
the stock VGT should never be used in a compound setup

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What size turbo? needs to be t6 ideally. plus turbometics have a reputation of not lasting on diesels.

You would be better off adding a air to water intercooler instead of a air to air. but even then its not really needed because the primary turbo doesnt make all that much boost so not that much heat. plus the room that has already been addressed.

Tuning is going to be a big deal here. No one has been able to make a stock turbo last in a compound set up. Not saying it cant be done but you may blow up a few before you get it right and by then you would buy new turbos that have been proven to work.

edit: I see you have a smoke switch. you must know what your doing, carry on. you got this!
The turbonetics turbo was just what had sparked my thinking not saying it was the best option. As far as stock turbo, and air to air intercooler I was thinking a cheap design not necessarily the most efficient design but a cheap easy one. I have heard of the stock turbo being an issue.
And as far as the smoke switch I know it's frounded opon bad here and hard on solenoids and unison rings but it's fun to lay down a smoke show every now and then.
The additional intercooler doesnt have to be huge, i was thinking about using a 18x32x4 something that will sit between the bumper and condenser and between frame rails. The added piping is actually comparible to that of a phat shaft setup assuming you run a intercooler with same side inlet and outlet.
My whole thinking here is pretty simple; more compression stages = more heat. More contact with hot surfaces (i.e. inner turbo housing) = higher temps. Higher intake temp = lower power, higher egts.
I haven't got all the logic of this figured out completly and honestly I've thought of running a Garrett 62mm feeding a Garrett 70something with this additional intercooler setup. Just a reminder I'm in no way saying this is a fix all to high egts and more power I'm just bouncing off ideas for a project to build on a test platform.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
there are going to be more piping than the industrial set up because you are going to have to some how find a way to get the pipes in front of the ac condenser and also get the pipes to the stock intercooler. and longer pipes mean slower response time

and for the smoke switch its not about if it is hard on the truck its. its about how pointless it is and how it really hurts the performance diesel industry. I will leave it at that. But I would at least take it off your sig. great way to instantly loose respect. (from me anyway)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ok. If this is a pure race/pulling truck it can happen.

Mount your 2nd turbo in the bed of the truck, routing the exhaust into the turbo will be easy if you can weld. Remove everything but your radiator from up front. Relocate your trans cooler, batteries, degas bottle, delete your wiper fluid bottle, delete everything to do with your climate control, basically anything that doesn't help the truck run gets the boot. Get 2 custom CACs built to fit in your space.

That's the easy part, now get about 35 miles of piping (3&4in) and enough 90s and 45s to sink a small ocean freighter and pipe it all up. Easy as pie.

After all that find a tuner in your area that can make your monster run and hope the back pressure doesn't wreck your engine.

Good luck, and if you make it work, I'll apologize for doubting your fab skills.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha Yeah rear mount turbo is not what I had in mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts