·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Bottle Liquid Water Drinkware Drinking water

Liquid Bottle cap Automotive tire Bottle Fluid

Drinkware Drink Gas Paint Font

One of the fluids that are always forgotten is the power steering. Here’s a simple DIY that would take you about 30 minutes to flush the whole system.
  1. Jack up the truck making sure both front tires are off the ground
  2. Crawl under truck and find the power steering line on the front drivers side frame rail. (See picture)
  3. Once located, pull back the hose clamp from the steal line.
  4. Separates the rubber and steal line from each other. Fluid will start to come out.
  5. Use a catch can to get fluids.
  6. Get in the truck with the key turned on. DONT TURN ENGINE OVER.
  7. Turn steering wheel from lock to lock. Take your time. Lock to lock should take about 30 seconds. Holding lock for 10 seconds. Repeat 4 times
  8. You should have got a little over a quarts of fluid. (See pictures)
  9. Reconnect powering steering line and hose clamp.
  10. Add Mercon LV (see pictures) The system is empty just add enough to fill the reservoir.
  11. With ENGINE OFF!! Turn your steering wheel lock to lock to get the fluid through the system. Repeat until reservoir is between min and max.
  12. Take truck off jacks.
You have completed a full flush. I’ve added 1.5 oz of Hot Shots FR3. I recommend if you have a neglected system or oversized tires.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Depends on if you have hydroboost or not though.
That's not a bad method though. I did mine (vacuum boost) using a fluid pump. The pump you'd use for diff or Xfer. No need for turning the steering since no air enters the system. I did have to take the grille off though.

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
1,423 Posts
Thanks for the write up dude.

But I have to ask, why? I’m not being a smart *** or anything, I just want to know what the benefits are. It makes sense that the fluid would wear out, I just don’t know what it’s going to hurt. Maybe it lengthens the life of the hardware (pump, seals, etc.)? Just trying to learn.

·
Premium Member
12,459 Posts

But I have to ask, why? I’m not being a smart *** or anything, I just want to know what the benefits are. It makes sense that the fluid would wear out, I just don’t know what it’s going to hurt. Maybe it lengthens the life of the hardware (pump, seals, etc.)? Just trying to learn.
5% increase in fuel economy...it's right there on the bottle. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::p

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts

Yeah, basically component longevity. Prevents sludge build up and viscosity breakdown.

Reactions: Old King Coal

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just did this to my truck. Couldn't get the fluid to purge through the system after refilling the reservoir just by turning the wheel with engine off. Briefly started the engine and stopped it a couple times to pump fluid through, which worked, and topped off after each shutdown. Now my power steering pump is making noise, especially at hard lock both left and right.
What gives?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Just did this to my truck. Couldn't get the fluid to purge through the system after refilling the reservoir just by turning the wheel with engine off. Briefly started the engine and stopped it a couple times to pump fluid through, which worked, and topped off after each shutdown. Now my power steering pump is making noise, especially at hard lock both left and right.
What gives?

Most pumps will make noise at full lock. How much.....is another question. Mine makes a little whine and always has. If it's really loud it could be air still trapped. That's why I prefer the purge vs. drain and fill.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What gives?

Mine as always whine at full lock on either side. My buddies 2022 does the same. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Had to have been air then. Good to hear it's purring along.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts