Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i did the DIY/TYMAR intake thinkin i was gonna get these great results lol!
my stock air filter was in TERRIBLE shape and when i changed to DIY
of course i had that.... "man this is running WAY better" feeling. I checked the mileage.... going 60 mph and NEVER over. 95% freeway driving back and forth from home to work... I gained a WHOPPING .5 mpg. im now at 16.034 mpg..... pretty consistently. needless to say i was pretty dissapointed as I am in the middle of my quest for 20 mpg that is SO often claimed on this site......well now im .5 closer:doh::thumb:

·
Registered
318 Posts
flow tests show that it does improve flow... it sucks but .5 is better than nothing ha ha. Im only squekin out 16-17 right now...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Yea I did a programmer and intake and lost 2 mpg, Im just hoping I gotta last batch of winter diesel or something and my mileage will go back up.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im going to unplug my edge for this tank of fuel and see if that does anything... as always, i will post my results

·
Registered
138 Posts
It is funny how manufacturers of these aftermarket upgrades lay claims of such huge increases in mpg's and horsepower but they never come even close.
The intake does give you a gain though and so would a 4" turbo back exhaust. Just not anywhere near what some claim.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have little or no increase in mpg's on mine with all the mods in my sig, I have only done city driving since the chip though. gettin about 15mpg city hopin to get 18 out of it next long road trip. The bigger DIY filter is probably more aimed towards cooler egts and better flow with a chip than it is at mpg's:thumb:

·
Registered
313 Posts
im going to unplug my edge for this tank of fuel and see if that does anything... as always, i will post my results
what rpms are you running at 65??
and what is your gearing??

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm on a quest for 20 mpg also. I just filled up last night and must have gotten a 1st round of summer diesel. I had 430 miles exactly and put in 22.51gallons, that's about 19.1 mpg. About 40 of those miles was town stop and go traffic. The main things that increased my mileage is: Bed Cover, no excess weight anywhere (just a toolbox and some misc stuff), run 70 psi in the tires, keep it waxed (windshield also) good...but the main thing is I don't allow myself to push the pedal down more than 1/2 way at any time and drive about 62 to 65 max w/ cruise. I accelerate very very slowly and coast as much as possible. Majorly boring I agree. Next I'm going to install a 203 degree thermostat and possibly an electric fan. If I drive it "normal" I get about 17.5.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Forgot to say...I did see a slight increase in mileage by switching to 5w-40 synthetic, plus the motor just runs better it seems. I have 3.73 gears and run right about 1750 rpm at 65 w/ stock tires.

·
Registered
193 Posts
diy tymar is many done to improve filtering not milage...
tabs brak off the oem housing easy and let unfiltered air in leaving a dusted
ruined engine.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
That's part of your problem right there... get some better tuning and you'll see an increase.

As for the 20 mpg... good luck.

I got 20+ one time on a long trip on summer blend w/ low sulfer...

used to get 17... now I get 15-16 pretty consistently...

Our final drive is a big help :rolleyes: 2k at 68mph...

·
assistant director
1,053 Posts
my wife found a sweet spot as she calls it in our 02 X that is 2,000 rpm which is a little over 70 and I checked it manually and it was 19.6. that helped a lot

·
Registered
313 Posts
i know with my truck i used to get as high as 18

I did the mods in my sig. and get much better..
My last tankful with short trips was 21.3 mpg.
3.73 gears..
I think some of higher mpg is the early 99's injectors and turbo are small
also its a six speed transmission
I try and keep the rpms below 2000 this helps
I give her a good kick in the rear several times through this just to let my inner child run..
good luck

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's part of your problem right there... get some better tuning and you'll see an increase.

As for the 20 mpg... good luck.

I got 20+ one time on a long trip on summer blend w/ low sulfer...

used to get 17... now I get 15-16 pretty consistently...

Our final drive is a big help :rolleyes: 2k at 68mph...
your milage is a little misleading
your motors not exactly stock, your pushing a lot more fuel than a basically stock motor
right??? but that looks like good fuel milage for what your doing

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
So i did the DIY/TYMAR intake thinkin i was gonna get these great results lol!
my stock air filter was in TERRIBLE shape and when i changed to DIY
of course i had that.... "man this is running WAY better" feeling. I checked the mileage.... going 60 mph and NEVER over. 95% freeway driving back and forth from home to work... I gained a WHOPPING .5 mpg. im now at 16.034 mpg..... pretty consistently. needless to say i was pretty dissapointed as I am in the middle of my quest for 20 mpg that is SO often claimed on this site......well now im .5 closer:doh::thumb:
I tell you what, i'd trade your 16.034 for my 13.5 anyday :confused:

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS THE ZOODAD MOD, AND FORCE FEED THAT PIG SOME COLD AIR!

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
its long been talked about on this and many forums that if you keep your R's below 2000, you will have decent mileage... above that, and it starts to fall, no matter how lazily you drive...

and even though Marty has those mods on his truck, usually with a good set of injectors and proper tuning, you will actually gain mileage (unless its just a ridiculious large set of injectors, but still - tuning is KEY with any mods to take advantage of what they offer)

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
Forgot to say...I did see a slight increase in mileage by switching to 5w-40 synthetic, plus the motor just runs better it seems. I have 3.73 gears and run right about 1750 rpm at 65 w/ stock tires.
SNAP! I new I want to change me gears, thats why! At 65 I'm spinning about 2200rpm with 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
313 Posts
its long been talked about on this and many forums that if you keep your R's below 2000, you will have decent mileage... above that, and it starts to fall, no matter how lazily you drive...

and even though Marty has those mods on his truck, usually with a good set of injectors and proper tuning, you will actually gain mileage (unless its just a ridiculious large set of injectors, but still - tuning is KEY with any mods to take advantage of what they offer)
this is horrible news!!!!
this was one of the things keeping me away from a turbo and injectors for my truck
someone say its not so and save me some money:doh:

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
SNAP! I new I want to change me gears, thats why! At 65 I'm spinning about 2200rpm with 4.10 gears.
yah, but it'll cost ya like what - $500 to change the gears???...

well, when ya think about it, it woudln't take long to make up the difference now days would it! :doh:

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
yah, but it'll cost ya like what - $500 to change the gears???...

well, when ya think about it, it woudln't take long to make up the difference now days would it! :doh:
Yes exactly, at $150-160 a fill up, a few MPG increase would be a lot in no time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts