Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked up the DIY threads. I think I am going that route. Will this have any effect on a stock tune truck? Well I say stock tune I have my Edge set on lvl1. I think thats stock tune.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Have you done anything to the exhaust? More air in means you need more air out? You don't need a complete exhaust system. The restriction in the factory set up comes from when the necked a 3.5" main line down to 2.5" to go through a offset muffler which further restricts flow. Backpressure is good with a gasser but not a diesel. I would either straight pipe it or install a Walker BTM, my choice is the BTM. My EGT's dropped 100-150 degrees between intake and BTM, and yes there was a big difference. It's amazing the difference by just letting the 7.3 breathe like it should!!

NCH

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you done anything to the exhaust? More air in means you need more air out? You don't need a complete exhaust system. The restriction in the factory set up comes from when the necked a 3.5" main line down to 2.5" to go through a offset muffler which further restricts flow. Backpressure is good with a gasser but not a diesel. I would either straight pipe it or install a Walker BTM, my choice is the BTM. My EGT's dropped 100-150 degrees between intake and BTM, and yes there was a big difference. It's amazing the difference by just letting the 7.3 breathe like it should!!

NCH
I didn't do it but its SS 4" straight back to a 5" tip. No muffler or cat. Did the 7.3 come with a cat?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Nope.
I dont know wht is a stock tune on the Edge is.

Any time you make a engine more efficient it is good. You already have the exhaust do the DIY intake. You should feel a little power and see some milege increase.:nod:

It wont hurt anything to mod the motor with out tunes. The tunes help to get the most out of youre mods. Now if you go with major bolt on mods than you need tunes to run things like injectors and a turbo.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
go to riffraffdiesel.com. they have the 6637 filter as a kit. it comes with the filter, pre filter, clamp, and pipe. its pretty cheep too

·
Registered
379 Posts

NCH
What is a Walker BTM? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Walker Big Truck Muffler I think

1 - 8 of 8 Posts