Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a DIY intake better or just a good high quality drop in filter? Some guys say with a DIY, the air you draw is hotter, so its not even worth it. Your better off with a high performance drop in filter. What do you all think?

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
I definitely felt the difference. I think the stock box is just too restrictive.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Well it's hotter when your sitting at a light but goin down the road it's pretty much the same as a closed drop in

·
Registered
336 Posts
Every time I installed a open element air cleaner oin any of my trucks they caked up with dirt quickly ( I go hunting fishing etc so i do lots of dirt roads)
I basically do a foam reuseable air filter drop in style and leave it at that. I will not use K&N filters i rather use the factory paper element filters

·
Registered
796 Posts
I do the same thing I'm constantly on dirt roads and I have never seen any dirt in my intake tube with my K&N it does have an outerwear on it also been like that for about 156k miles it's all about maint on the filter kind of like an oil filter you can have the best oil filter but if you neglect changing it your oil bypasses the filter. I do agree though I wouldn't run one in real dusty environments without some kind of outerwear or foam pre filter .

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Get the DIY intake and a Riffraff prefilter and you won't have anymore problems with dirt.

And K&N anything you want to stay away from as their drop in filters and cold air intakes do not seal properly and have dusted quite a few engines.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just had problems with K&N filters on my other trucks ( tons of dirt on the filters and the intake tubes) needless to say the filters did not stay on there too long. I just went back to the factory paper style filters on my trucks. Sold the K&N filters on craiglist

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I ended up going with the 6637. Do a lot of you guys use a pre filter or something like that with these?

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
yeah, where did you get yours? hope you didnt pay over 40 bucks. riffraffdiesel.com has em dirt cheap. :)

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Just a FYI..a DIY 6637, which is neither a Tymar nor a recommended system by us. The WIX/NAPA 6637 is not a hydrophobic (water resistant) element and using it as an open element should be avoided. There are other concerns such as providing minimal radial clearance, isolating engine vibration, positioning away from rain drip channel, etc. But, I just wanted to draw a clear difference between copies, DIY efforts, and a Tymar.

The Donaldson filter is very resonable and many times as cheap or cheaper than a 6637

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
The Baldwin PA2818 is a marine grade filter

·
Registered
10 Posts
DIY Intake vs. Drop in

I wondered the samething a few weeks ago. I went ahead and bought a tymar performance intake and I'm extremely glad I did. When its just right you can hear it suck in air which as we all know has to be loud over the beast. I noticed a little bit of gain but, it was well worth it.

Just my 2 pennies :thumb:

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
The Donaldson 085046 filter is for high humidity applications. This has little to do with the hydrophobic capabilities and deals with micro biotic growth since constant high humidity, think of boats that are always in the water moored to a dock, will have greater abilities for mold and such to develop on them.

It should be noted that the 085046 filter is a LOT more expensive and there is no air flow or hydrophobic benefit over the 085011. I would think its the same for the Baldwin PA2818

1 - 13 of 13 Posts