Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the diy intake, i have seen alot of people on here have them and i think im gonna try one.
i have talked to one guy and he said that he used a napa filter, 4" peice of pipe, and some hase clamps-for a 99"
he couldnt rember the part # but just wondering if i could get some of your imput that have a diy intake. thanks!!!:thumb:

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Napa part #6637

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Hose clamps only need to be 4.5" and 6637 is the napa part # for the filter.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Need a piece of 4" pipe probably 1' long, I got the biggest hose clamp I could find at Tractor Supply Co. to tighten the filter to the pipe.... Other than that you should be good to go. Ya kinda gotta cram the filter in between the fuse box and the battery because of the angle, but it works....

If ya got some extra 4" pipe layin' around (approx. 8" worth or less) you can go ahead and do the CCV mod. Just need a 1" male-male couple and around 15-20' of 1" heater hose. Shouldn't cost much

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Yes, use the factory elbow, stick the 4" pipe in that, clamp it down. Then clamp the napa filter on the other end of the 4" pipe. I just left the senors (that was in the old intake box) out of the box and zip tied it out of the way.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
When you get it done, your going to love the turbo whistle!!!

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well this dont sound too bad
i will probably do this tommro
but lastly do i need to get steel pipe or something else also how long
and do i need to leave the housing or take it out.
oh and i cut the kitty and muffler out and you can hear my turbo whistle from a mile away!!!
cant wait to hear it when i get done!!!

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
metal pipe, or a piece of 4" pvc pipe will also work. Housung? The stock filter box must come out. I've got some pics in my gallery.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats all there is to it?
that wasnt a very big peice of pipe.
i thought i needed to be bout a foot long.
so roughly a 6" long piece of 4" pvc will work?
oh, i went to napa and they had no 4"pipe but i think they thought i was talking about exhaust pipe
they didnt have the filter but he told me it will be in tomm.
so a 4" piece of pvc will work-i got about 30 pieces of 25ft pvc pipe but it might be 5"

·
Registered
854 Posts
I just used extra exhaust pipe I had from my exhaust install... I've seen people use the PVC pipe too...

Just whatever's easiest to get a hold of....It's a really simple mod and doesn't take but a few mins

P.S. chunk the junky *** filter box :thumb:
or eBay it

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well dang
i hopefully will have that nocked out tomm. when 6637 comes in tom.
thanks and i will keep you updated!!!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i got some 4in pvc but it wouldnt come lose to fitting inside if it
on the outside of the pvc was almost 5"!
but started taking apart and the top of the air filter housing ofcorse came right off but i cant get the bottom of it to budge.
how do you get it off
it looked like it just snaps off but wont come off for nuthin. how do i get it off?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts