Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the DIY intake mod. as directed by The very popular Marty. (man I wish he was my neighbor). VERY satisfied with the noticable difference in both sound and performance. Surprising how much the stock configuration was holding things back. Question is...When I"m on the skinny stick hard, your hear the turbo screaming and when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to OD you hear a very noticable sound that sounds like a air pistol shooting a short burst of air. Am I now hearing the waste gate dumping the additional boost when the revs drop in connection to the up shifting?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Its not the waste gate, just a sound the turbo makes back feeding the boost...nothing to be alarmed about. I actually love it. Theres nothing like the sound of 25psi of boost going up hill with a big gooseneck in tow and then letting off and hearing that sound. Makes me grin like a little kid on christmas :hehe:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My kids think its cool, they say it sounds like a school bus after they park when they here the air breaks engage. Love how they have so few references to compare it to. I didn't figure it was a bad thing, just wanted to identify the sound I was hearing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts