Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
I know this doesnt really help now but there are drains in the block you pull out to get the coolant out of the heads and block so you dont get all the coolant in the cylinders, an allen wrench gets the out. Also the rocker bridges, Im not an expert but from what ive seen that seems to be how they are. I have not seen any perfect bridges they all look crappy to me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
So how did you get the driverside head out, everyone says its dang near impossible.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I did mine I just took the exhaust manifold off, picked up the head and pulled it out, had to take the rear lower bolt with it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I know this doesnt really help now but there are drains in the block you pull out to get the coolant out of the heads and block so you dont get all the coolant in the cylinders, an allen wrench gets the out. Also the rocker bridges, Im not an expert but from what ive seen that seems to be how they are. I have not seen any perfect bridges they all look crappy to me.
i think i knew that with the drains, just didnt even think about it.:doh: yeah i about crapped when i saw that bridge, at a first glance it looks like it cracked almost in half, then i noticed 2 or 3 others looked just the same so, i guess good deal, i dont have to replace them!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
When I did mine I just took the exhaust manifold off, picked up the head and pulled it out, had to take the rear lower bolt with it.
its really that easy, except the lower bolt caught the HG and peeled it up with the head, i should have wrapped a zip tie or somthing around the bolt to keep it flush with the bottom of the head..other wise it just heavy!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
well i got the heads off to the machine shop, they should be done by monday, so now im just cleaning, i got the turbo apart now going to clean it up, all the veins moved freely but i figured i would clean it up anyways, also going to the the CCV mod, the whole intercooler system is really nasty and dirty so im going to clean up the tubes and boots really well and eliminate that problem! so, as soon as i get the heads back i will have more pictures and start assembly!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
well i took some parts into work today to do some cleaning, most everything came clean in the parts washer, I got the turbo apart and cleaned it really well. i should have the heads back tomorrow from the machine shop, im going to drop off the intake to clean it while im there, i tried a couple different methods to try and clean it out but the build-up was too much for a parts washer so, $30 to throw in the hot tank over night so i figure its worth it, i couldnt beleive the build up in there, not good.

all in all things are still moving along good, sometime this week i'll make a run to Ford and get my list of seals and o-rings and pick-up a new oil cooler. then it should be all assembly from there!:icon_ford:

·
Registered
597 Posts
cool. how many miles did you have on this? I got about 55k on mine, but about 30 of that is with SCT tunes with EGR off, so I'm hoping my intake is not too crudded up. Just did hg's but don't think the tech cleaned the intake on it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
cool. how many miles did you have on this? I got about 55k on mine, but about 30 of that is with SCT tunes with EGR off, so I'm hoping my intake is not too crudded up. Just did hg's but don't think the tech cleaned the intake on it.
its got 110k on it now, i think it held its weight as a stock truck untill 96k when i first tuned it. although as i said the intake is way crudded up, i wouldnt be surprised if theres a power difference just in cleaning it:hehe: The turbo looked really well though i thought, had a thin layer of soot but everything moved as it should with ease,

Also, I used a torch to heat the scoop in the up pipe, i heated it through the opening to the EGR while a buddy took a 1" impact socket and pounded it flush with the side of the pipe, one quick weld it it should be sealed!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
well i picked up my heads today from the machine shop, $250 to mill pressure check and clean. Took off .006 total to get them true, guy said it took .006 on the corners and less as the head moved toward the center, he said at the center it maybe took .001 or 2 off. basically said they were warped pretty bad but they probably came from the factory that way and wasnt surprised at all!:dunno: oh well there lazer strait now!:thumb:

The intake is done in the hot tank, i dropped the EGR cooler off today at the same shop to have them TIG some stainless plugs in, $20 bucks,:woot: should have them back friday, also I cut a plug for the up-pipe today and welded it in.

Planning on having everything laid out and ready for install friday, and hopefully take her for a spin this weekend!!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
well I didnt get nearly as far as i wanted this weekend, dealer was short a few parts and i didnt get the intake man. and EGR cooler back from the machinist so there was only so much i could do, spend at least an hour per side cleaning the head surface on the block, first used a razor blade the scrape the build up off then used a real fine grit sand paper to smooth it down real good, worked great. then cleaned the heck out of the jugs and everything getting ready to put the heads back on,

Next placed the HGs and called over a friend the help me hoist them heads back on, with a bunch of struggle we got them back on, the pass side wasnt bad at all but the drivers side sucked alot! but there back on!

Got a question, i thought i got the bolt holes cleaned out real well but it seems there was still some oil in holes, when installing the ARPs it felt like they were building pressure and there was a bubbling sound as if the oil was squirting out! Has anyone expierenced this? Doesnt seem like a good thing, if the bolts seal up well the heat buildup in there would cause serious problems i would think? Im thinking i need to pull the ARPs back out and somhow conect a small tube to a shop vac and suck the oil out of the holes, i suppose if it normal i will leave it alone... any suggestions???

Here are more pics

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Awesome job, I'm sending this link to a buddy who needs to do this, maybe this will show him its not so hard!

You're right about the EGR delete kits too, once you see what is actually going on, you realize the $600 kits seem slightly overpriced... Though they are nice and handy in a pinch.

I'd do a regulated return or at least crossover lines on the back of the heads while you're digging around in there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Nice job man its fun doing all this work yourself isnt it? I just did mine in june just wait tell you fire it up thats the best part..... As far as cleaning the holes where the ARP studs went into i just took a blow nozzle and spray air in there and all the oil and coolant will spray out just cover everything up and you will be ok... you only have to put the studs in handtight....but i will tell you this you better drink alot of protein shakes when you torque those heads down cuz 245LB/FT is alot...Keep up the good work man it looks great!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Nice job man its fun doing all this work yourself isnt it? I just did mine in june just wait tell you fire it up thats the best part..... As far as cleaning the holes where the ARP studs went into i just took a blow nozzle and spray air in there and all the oil and coolant will spray out just cover everything up and you will be ok... you only have to put the studs in handtight....but i will tell you this you better drink alot of protein shakes when you torque those heads down cuz 245LB/FT is alot...Keep up the good work man it looks great!
Yeah i havnt slept in awhile:hehe: bugs me BAD to see the truck sit there in the driveway. I'll probly dance when i fire it back up:hehe: I'll tell you i had to go take a nap to recover after placing the drivers side head back in!! I held it over a motor while a buddy laid under the truck reaching up to hold the back of the head up while i manuvered it into place, it bounced off a few things going in but nothing hard enough to do any damage (injectors not installed), i envisioned a perfect placement going in but i gave it everything i had to hold that thing up while trying to line up to dowels and it just didnt happen that easy! maybe a few scratches around the dowels but im not too worried about it.. if torquing the studs is harder than that, crap!:hehe:

above all, Yes, its been fun! and hopefully well worth it!:thumb:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Awesome job, I'm sending this link to a buddy who needs to do this, maybe this will show him its not so hard!

You're right about the EGR delete kits too, once you see what is actually going on, you realize the $600 kits seem slightly overpriced... Though they are nice and handy in a pinch.

I'd do a regulated return or at least crossover lines on the back of the heads while you're digging around in there.
I would like to do something with the fuel system, but just cant afford a full system right now, Honestly, i plan on running Erics Xtreme Race tune but thats about as far as i want to go for now, I would like to make the truck "Mild", if that makes sense, maybe down the road make it insane fast and really dump some money into it, but for now its a daily driver and i cant afford to fix it all the time (i got a lead foot:hehe:),

SO, I understand with any good tune the stock system can't keep and you potentially starve an injector or two at WOT, whats a cheaper upgrade that can be done to help keep the fuel flowing without spending major bucks on a full system? Would a simple cross over at the back of the heads keep me up to pressure under WOT?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Your money would be better spent on a fuel pump then a regulated return or fuel lines.
I agree, but the crossover lines in the back would compliment the fuel pump no? Might as well do them now with all this crap out of the way (though I'm not sure it will be that much easier since they're on the back of the heads. At least do it now since its cheap and accessible!? Then do the fuel pump later on like the Airdog II with the built in regulated return, and you'd be all set.

I know from experience those fuel lines on the back of the head are a PITA to get at when nothing on the truck is disassembled, I've done a vegistroke back there, what a PITA!!!!:doh:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well finally got my Intake back from the hot tank and the cooler is welded up ready to go back on so i officially have everything, As of yesterday the new oil cooler is in, replaced injector o-rings, replaced oil tube o-rings, and got the heads completely put back together. I finally found a torque wrench capable of 245ft/lbs. we had one at work:doh:

Tonight i got the studs torqued!!! it sucked!!! i followed the factory pattern using intervals of 100, 175, 245. It was tough for sure! After that i installed the EGR cooler to the intake. and finally got the HP oil rails back on the heads. I'll be honest i planned on working on it all night but i ran out of ambition after torquing the heads. it took the life out of me! but its done!

About the STC fitting, i went to three different dealers looking for it, they all gave me a printout of the HPOP assembly and none of them has heard of this part. finally one guy pointed it out on the sheet, but they didnt have one in stock. after some research he found one dealer in Des Moines had one. so I went to that dealer and had to re-explain everything to him about the part. I told him that i heard it was a common problem on the 6.0s. He replied "if it was a common problem you would think there would be more than one of them in stock at a ford dealer".

SO i decided to buy it but after looking at the HPOP layout i decided it wasnt worth it. Who knows i may really regret it but the sales guy had a really good point, also money is getting tight and i just know theres a hole bunch of seals/o-rings that will need replaced after tearing into it. Hopefully tomorrow i will be re energized and finally get the truck done!

Heres a few more pics! there will be many more tomorrow!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.