Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any threads on here for guys that built their own fuel system for the 6.0? I tried searching but don't think im looking in the right place keeping getting stuff for the 7.3 :dunno:

·
Premium Member
980 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
There are several threads on this forum alone. How are you searching?..
I'm building my own sump to engine and back to tank. documenting it all in my thread in the excursion section.

- I am going to run a beans sump,
- 1/2" eaton synflex line, to ball shut off valve,
- aeromotive 1000, shut off valve,
- 2 cummins fleet guard filter bases,
- running a water separator and fuel filter,
- to shutoff valve,
- more 1/2" synflex to Fragola y block,
- from y block running #8 aeroquip telfon lined hose to steel 1/2" 90 deg swivels into front of both heads..
- from rear of both heads I have steel 3/8" 90 deg swivels,
- #6 aeroquip teflon hose to aeromotive fuel pressure regulator remote mounted off engine in engine compartment,
- added a gauge to regulator,
- running 3/8" eaton synflex from regulator to factory 3/8" feed line before factory lift pump with an to ford 3/8" quick disconnect adapter.

- front of engine lines

- rear of heads

I will be starting the fuel system build shortly, have repair a tractor for my parents first. build will be speced out piece by piece in my thread. its the Driveway build in the excursion forum here.
Thanks,
Deo

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Therabbittree I would suggest placing the water seperaror before your pump to protect it.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks a lot guys! now I have a starting point, and I just done a threads seach at the top of the forum

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Therabbittree what size are the metric ports on the front and back of the heads

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dumb question do I have to keep the factory lift pump to return the fuel to the tank ? Any pros and cons to this

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Therabbittree what size are the metric ports on the front and back of the heads
The front and back of the heads are 12mmX1.5 oring boss. I got mine from summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-949092erl

Dumb question do I have to keep the factory lift pump to return the fuel to the tank ? Any pros and cons to this
Depends on how big of injectors you plan on running, the stock HFCM is capable of supplying enough fuel for 175/75s. I see about a 7psi drop at WFO which puts me right in the sweet spot for fuel pressure (53PSI). IMHO a airdog 150 or 6.4 fuel pump feeding the HFCM will be a good setup for smaller injectors but if you plan on going big pull the HFCM and install a fuelab 41401.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would a areomotive A1000 work instead of the fuellab pump

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the factory pump wiring good enough to run a a1000 or should I buy the wiring kit too

·
Registered
385 Posts
Compression for the plastic synflex line. Those are 10 oring boss to synflex plastic line. I prefer synflex line to an line due to price ease of working with it and inside diameter. Its larger then rubber an line. 1/2" is .376 id. If I use AN I normally use telfon aeroquip...as it doesn't break down like rubber and in larger inside diameter too. Synflex is a polyamide plastic, so fuel is safe. the synflex is safe for very high pressures like 950psi, temps from -65 f to 200 degs f. I normally run it under the vehicle and run the ptfe Teflon An aeroquip in the engine compartment. For this build I will be running The AN teflon aeroquip line from the fragola y all the way thru to the fuel regulator.
Thanks,
Deo

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would make a new harness as the factory wiring isn't that stout. I would use it as a trigger for your relay. Pizza Pig is correct the 1/2" inlets for the pump isn't a great idea. I am going to go with 5/8" feed and a 3/4" ball valve ... as they don't make 5/8" ball valves...lol.. also the Beans sump is 3/8 " ..I'm gonna see if I can drill and tap it out to 3/4" some where safely. fun fun.. another discount hydraulic hose order here I come lol..
Thanks,
Deo

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I'm curious where this "1/2" to the pump isn't a great idea" came from. That's not always the case, it depends on what type of pump setup you're using. For guys like me who have a 6.4 pump feeding a 6.0 pump, the 6.4 inlet is 1/2" and the outlet of that pump is 1/2" so it's very well suitable for for the pump.

So if you're referring to the outlet side of the pump being larger than the supply side, I could very well understand that and I would word that along the lines; "you don't want your outlet line larger than the pumps supply line," assuming that's what you mean.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
They are referring to the fuelab and aeormotive pumps, the fuelab 41401 comes with -10AN (5/8) inlet and outlet. I think 1/2" will be fine sumped but through a draw straw you will want 5/8. I went with 10an from the sump to the pump then after the second filter base it drops to 8an.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
o thanks for the help, what are you guys doing with the factory feed line coming from the tank when you do a bottom sump

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i mean as far as sealing the tank from where the factory line was connected

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also is it ok to go from a y fitting with -8 to two -6 lines to feed the front of the heads, or should i keep hunting for a 12mmx1.5 male orb to -8 an fitting for the front of the heads, my turbo should be back from MTW this week i hope and warren diesel called Thursday to tell me my injectors are done so im hoping to get them paid for and get them back by Friday, so i hope i can get everything else ordered today for the fuel system, that way i can getting up to bug the parker fitting guy this week and kinda have a little idea of what im talking about lol

1 - 20 of 53 Posts