Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I dug and dug and found other people who have built these before, but didn't find a writeup, so I'm making one doggone it!

I got to work this morning and hooked up to a flatbed GN and did a walk around and noticed my coolant was low. I've been watching my EGR cooler as I suspected it to have a tiny crack when I bought it over a year ago. I've been fortunate to milk it for this long and when I pulled the valve this morning when i got to the shop, I saw water pooled in the intake :eek:hnoes:

I had some 1.5" 6061 round bar in a short stock pile, so that's what I used.

after measuring my valve, I drew up these plans:

I put the round bar in the lathe, turned down the major diameter to the appropriate diameter and turned the secondary smaller diameter at the bottom of the valve

Turned the grooves with a parting tool

turned some smaller diameter reliefs, cut it off and faced the top cap to a thickness of .250

then took a piece of 1x1 square bar, face milled it down to a more apprpriate thickness, cut a slot across it to a depth of .235 to give some stretch and clamping room, then drilled the holes(1/4" drill)

drove all over town trying to find a new gasket set since I re-used the top o ring to seal the top of the spool

I don't know if this is a permanent fix for anyone, but I did what I had to do in order to get home and running "safely" until I can replace the EGR cooler in a few weeks. Yes, I know the cooler is still there and still ruptured, but I have the replacement already and have to wait until I can get in and change it out..along with the oil cooler.

Reactions: dfuzz78 and Lilpooh

·
Administrator
30,488 Posts
I have one spun up on my lathe also just a little different top retention

i don't see what that did to circumvent anything EGR cooler leak related ?

you basically just take out the possibility of the valve opening or not being seated all the way
the flow is still the same ??

or am I missing sumptin?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cool, nice work. Did you leave the valve somewhere plugged in? If not your fan won't work correctly.

Also, you risk a big chance of blowing the cooler apart with extra pressure and no where for the coolant to go. Drive carefully.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, nice work. Did you leave the valve somewhere plugged in? If not your fan won't work correctly.

Also, you risk a big chance of blowing the cooler apart with extra pressure and no where for the coolant to go. Drive carefully.
The valve is bolted to the intake elbow and plugged in. It's a temporary fix. I'm not sure how 50psi could physically blow the cooler apart. I can see the inside letting loose and dumping my coolant down the tailpipe, so I'm guessing that's what you are referring to.

Sent from one of the worst apps in the world

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Extra pressure? The dega cap pops off at 16psi.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Extra pressure? The dega cap pops off at 16psi.
I think he's referring to exhaust back pressure. Still not seeing how that little pressure could tear the outer shell of the cooler apart unless there was something majorly wrong with the cooler itself already.

My biggest concern is the coolant pouring down the up pipe and pooling in the exhaust manifold and possibly seeping into cylinder. I may be over thinking it though. I don't know how much coolant it would take for this to happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts