Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i drive a 07 F 350 CCLB DRW 6.0, and i drive ALOT ! 38k miles in just over 1 year ! Any of yall care to direct me to the info i need to produce my own Bio Diesel? I sure would like to reduce my PAIN at the pump.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
First things first....

Do you have WVO or new oil available to you? Also, the time and resources to make it?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess i have oil available, dont most people just ask restaurants for there waste oil?
Time? how much time is required? resources? explain

First things first....

Do you have WVO or new oil available to you? Also, the time and resources to make it?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I guess i have oil available, dont most people just ask restaurants for there waste oil?
Time? how much time is required? resources? explain

Oh boy.....

I HIGHLY recomend you have 1000 gallons in your posession before you worry about the above question

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1000 gallons ? where am i going to store 1000 gal? I currently use around 3,000 gal of diesel per year. So i am wanting to make 100 gal per month bio diesel.
perhaps someone else can help me?, since i am wanting to produce a small quantity of bio diesel.

Oh boy.....

I HIGHLY recomend you have 1000 gallons in your posession before you worry about the above question

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
1000 gallons ? where am i going to store 1000 gal? I currently use around 3,000 gal of diesel per year. So i am wanting to make 100 gal per month bio diesel.
perhaps someone else can help me?, since i am wanting to produce a small quantity of bio diesel.

Try this:

·
Registered
741 Posts
You need to make sure you have at least 1 reliable restuarant that you can get oil from. Finding WVO is not as easy as you might think. You may be lucky & live in an area where you can get it. For alot of guys though it is next to impossible to get or they have to pay for it.

If you can't get oil then everything else is a waste of time & money.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
4 replys and not one single person pointed me to a book on how to make Bi Diesel, or said how they started making Bio Diesel. I expected more info from verterans of this Forum. I guess i will do this on my own. Veggin psd, "tells me i got to start with 1,000gal or dont bother! Really ? i highly doubt any one starts with 1,000 gals of oil there first couple of batches. I am not out to start my own refinery.
I think i can get the oil, guy i work with, his brother in law owns a restaurant, so theres my oil .

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
1000 gal may be over kill but he knows what he's talking about. Wvo isn't easy to get. I've got several buddy's with restaurants and have only talked one out if 5 gal a week free.

My advice is to read a lot. Google Bio forums. Spend about a month sifting thru all the info. Them make your decision. Bio may be good or bad for you. I started looking into Bio but was turned off on having caustic chemicals in my garage where my 1 year old plays.

Making Bio isn't as easy as grabbing some oil from a waste bin putting a cup of lye a gal of methonal and go to bed. Wake up with Bio. Its a process that takes a lot of time and resources. You have to make it a hobby. It will consume a lot more time than you think.

As far as storage. Get on craigslist and look for ibc totes. I've got a couple 275 gallon totes along with about 5 55gsl drums in the garage.

Good luck on what ever you decide. There are a lot of very knowledgable guys here. Do some reading...Google Bio diesel processors. Ask questions, and always be respectful.

I check this often and will pipe in with what little knowledge i have. I've been reading and asking retarded questions for about a year now

Vandy

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
4 replys and not one single person pointed me to a book on how to make Bi Diesel, or said how they started making Bio Diesel. I expected more info from verterans of this Forum. I guess i will do this on my own. Veggin psd, "tells me i got to start with 1,000gal or dont bother! Really ? i highly doubt any one starts with 1,000 gals of oil there first couple of batches. I am not out to start my own refinery.
I think i can get the oil, guy i work with, his brother in law owns a restaurant, so theres my oil .
First step to QUALITY B100......
SHUT mouth. OPEN mind.
READ READ READ.
GOOGLE is you best friend.

I said 1000 gallons because judging by your line of questioning, you are clueless, and your later posts prove it. Thus, telling you 1000 gallons was a buffer, figuring you would find 500. That seems like a lot but it is not. If you are wanting to burn 100 gallons a month, buy it. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars and thousands of hours getting to where I am today. You will likely never achieve that, and surely wont do it on a forum. As far as WVO and B100 you can only learn so much from a forum. Remember, some inventing needed to occur along the way, and you pissed on the cheerios of one of the guys who have cracked a few nuts in the alternative fuel circle over the years. I can tell you the chemical formula for transesterfications and the conditions in which a complete reaction will occur and how to test for it, but I will not. You seem to know it all already.:doh:

Good luck.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Good luck on your own then.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes i am clueless to the Bio Diesel world, thats why i was asking for some info. and your response was LESS than HELPFUL, saying go find 1,000 gallons!
I hope other newbies to the Bio Diesel world reflect on this post and YOUR Gleaming wealth of knowledge, of which you so eagerly gave to me, the average guy looking for some info on Bio Diesel.
your a JERK !

First step to QUALITY B100......
SHUT mouth. OPEN mind.
READ READ READ.
GOOGLE is you best friend.

I said 1000 gallons because judging by your line of questioning, you are clueless, and your later posts prove it. Thus, telling you 1000 gallons was a buffer, figuring you would find 500. That seems like a lot but it is not. If you are wanting to burn 100 gallons a month, buy it. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars and thousands of hours getting to where I am today. You will likely never achieve that, and surely wont do it on a forum. As far as WVO and B100 you can only learn so much from a forum. Remember, some inventing needed to occur along the way, and you pissed on the cheerios of one of the guys who have cracked a few nuts in the alternative fuel circle over the years. I can tell you the chemical formula for transesterfications and the conditions in which a complete reaction will occur and how to test for it, but I will not. You seem to know it all already.:doh:

Good luck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Haha. Well now that the hostility is over with I have a question regarding bio diesel and/or "homemade" bio diesel. I have heard that these products have an undesirable effect on diesel injectors over time. Is this true and are there any other unwanted side effects to the alternative fuel?
Thank you in advance for any input on the subject.

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Lubbock guy. You should have listened to him... I work for a company that recycles waste kitchen grease/cooking oil. I drive around all day in a big tank truck sucking it out of containers and bringing it back to our plant to be processed for various uses. I can't tell you how much our customers are paid for the amount we pick up, but I can tell you that they could careless about you wanting to experiment with biodiesel. Kitchen grease used to be worthless and a waste to restaurants, now they see it's worth it's weight in gold.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Haha. Well now that the hostility is over with I have a question regarding bio diesel and/or "homemade" bio diesel. I have heard that these products have an undesirable effect on diesel injectors over time. Is this true and are there any other unwanted side effects to the alternative fuel?

Andrew

Yes and no. Based on supply and demand at work, we may used what we haul in in our trucks or we may sell it to our customers. Some of the trucks will get gummed up fuel filters and run worse than others. Some will run just fine. One truck in particular will run alright with it if you run a full tank of straight diesel fuel through it once a week.

I'm also talking about Volvo D13's so someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
741 Posts

Andrew

If you make good quailty bio then you should have no problems. If you don't then you most likely will experience that undesirable effect you are refering to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts