Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In late April, I purchased an SCT SF3 Tuner from Sinister Mfg / MKM Customs. I had been running an Edge Insight for several months and was very happy with the ability to monitor EGT, Boost, IAT, ECT, Trans Temp and EOT after having flushed my coolant system with Restore, replace my anti-freeze with ELC and performed an EGR delete and installed a new oil cooler. I received custom tunes from Michael Penfield at Sinister and installed one of the tunes, only to find that the Edge Insight would no longer display my Boost, Trans Temp, IAT or EOT. These were replaced by NA on the disply. Upon removing the custom tune and replacing it with the stock tune, all funtionality returned to the Edge Insight display.

Note: this is a 2004 F350 CC 4X4 with 6.0 diesel. I tried each tune, including the standard tunes, only to have the exact same issue with each one. Each time the Edge Insight display would work properly, only after returning to the stock tune. I contacted SCT Tech support. All they could do was point their finger at Edge and assume the Insight must not be working correctly. I contacted Edge and they suggested checking to make sure the firmware and software were up to date. I checked these and both were correct.

I contacted Mike Penfield who supplied a stock tune with EGR delete to try. This too had the same issue as the other SCT tunes. Mike suggested I copy my stock tune and send it to him to forward to SCT for analysis, to see what was diferent about my stock tune and what was preventing the Edge Insight display from working with the SCT tunes. That was two mointh ago. Since I hadn't heard anything for so long, I checked with Mike to see if he had heard back from SCT. He suggested I contact SCT directly, which I did today.

SCT's tech support is less than stellar, first of all, the tech knew nothing about my case, saying they would never offer to perform any such service, never heard of such a problem, yada yada yada.

I'm curious if others have experienced anything similar. I'm disgusted with SCT's lack of support and waste of my time. At this point my only option is to try to get my money back from Sinister Mfg / MKM Customs.

Ray

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Disgusted with SCT

Considering that SCT's canned tunes and the stock tune caused the same problems that the custom tunes caused with the Edge Insight display, I don't have any confidence in their product or their ability to support it.

Ray

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
i also have had zero response from sct. But browns and innovative are working on my tunes and should be ready tomarrow. So far not fond that SCT relies on its custom tune writers to carry them

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
I didn't have a problem with SCT's tech support. I bought an old X2, and they helped me out right away.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i called and got my problem fixed by sct tech support in a few minutes, which involved fixing my "corrupted" stock tune

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this will not help but I ran the SCT X3 on my truck with 3 custom tunes from Eric at Innovative and 1 custom tune from Vivian at Quick Tricks, everytime I ran one of their tunes I used the Edge A2 in-cab controller to monitor my parameters and no issues with the two programmers interfering with each other. The A2 would still display my parameters. Everytime I wanted to change the SCT tune that was in the ECM I had to completely disconnect the Edge programmer though.

·
'Merica
2,120 Posts
I have no problems with my Insight/SCT setup.

However, i cannot let my Insight load the default values. Or auto select the Manufacturer/options.

edit: I went through this a while back, drove me insane...here's what works for me:

After putting your tune in..or any time you unhook the Insight:

Key Off, Plug in Insight
(Vin Not Found) Press Enter
(Detecting Vehicle)Choose Ford
(Choose Type)Choose Diesel
(Error Can Communications) Or something like that

Key On
Press Enter You'll get another Can Error
Press Enter again and everything will be happy.

This is paraphrasing of course, but it'll get you in the right direction..I was gonna write it down while I was out in my truck coming up with the sequence for you, but it's freakin cold out!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have no problems with my Insight/SCT setup.

However, i cannot let my Insight load the default values. Or auto select the Manufacturer/options.

edit: I went through this a while back, drove me insane...here's what works for me:

After putting your tune in..or any time you unhook the Insight:

Key Off, Plug in Insight
(Vin Not Found) Press Enter
(Detecting Vehicle)Choose Ford
(Choose Type)Choose Diesel
(Error Can Communications) Or something like that

Key On
Press Enter You'll get another Can Error
Press Enter again and everything will be happy.

This is paraphrasing of course, but it'll get you in the right direction..I was gonna write it down while I was out in my truck coming up with the sequence for you, but it's freakin cold out!
For all the cry babies, follow exactly what Jay posted. You just need to think on your own after you put on your big boy pants after momma wakes you up for school in the morning, that's all :)

This site friggin blows with all the new trolls.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I hate to say it, but i don't think the problem is with SCT, its probably something on your end. Few and far between are the guys who post about troubles with their sct, so just based on sheer numbers its unlikely their product has something wrong with it. Look at what others have suggested doing, a new tune, possible reflash? etc etc:dunno:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem fixed.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. The post from Lilpooh and others (thecaptin) fixed the problem. I forwarded the link to Mike Penfied to share with SCT and Edge, since both their techs need to know the issues associated with the combination of their products.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts