Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Haha, and why do I need to install a different diff? Do you think it matters if it is turning at 20 mph or 100 mph? By the way the Raptor has the same manufacturer for the ELD.

This mod is working amazing. Once you flip the switch you get a whole bunch of chimes and dings. I just tap the okay switch and they go away for a little while. The switch for the locker on the 4wd button doesn't work with this mod. also you have to turn off the switch to use 4lo. Just returned from San Felipe, Baja Mexico. We did about 500 miles of dirt and most at high speed. The total trip was about 3000 miles in all. Guess what, my rear end still works. How about that. Here is a shot of us doing about a 100 MPH.

Hey, Im not saying bad things will happen. Just want others to understand that not all may go as planned. In Fact you might want to put a disclaimer on yours. Its the world we live in Brother!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Hey, Im not saying bad things will happen. Just want others to understand that not all may go as planned. In Fact you might want to put a disclaimer on yours. Its the world we live in Brother!
I think you saying that "The diff will go tits up" put me in a corner. The reason ford disables it above a certain speed is todays driver rely on the nanny controls and if they have an uncontrolled circumstance they wouldn't be able to drive out of it. With the rear end locked the advancetrac would be unable to apply the brakes independently of each other and possibly causing an accident.
I totally forgot what a joke most drivers are. They all talk the talk but few walk the walk. I added some notes to the original post. Thanks for looking out for me.
I only did this mod because I almost killed myself and others in the dunes when my ABS allowed my brake peddle to go to the floor and turned off the brakes. It took about 200 feet for the truck to come to a stop. Scary to say the least.:surprise:

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
I think you saying that "The diff will go tits up" put me in a corner. The reason ford disables it above a certain speed is todays driver rely on the nanny controls and if they have an uncontrolled circumstance they wouldn't be able to drive out of it. With the rear end locked the advancetrac would be unable to apply the brakes independently of each other and possibly causing an accident.
I totally forgot what a joke most drivers are. They all talk the talk but few walk the walk. I added some notes to the original post. Thanks for looking out for me.
I only did this mod because I almost killed myself and others in the dunes when my ABS allowed my brake peddle to go to the floor and turned off the brakes. It took about 200 feet for the truck to come to a stop. Scary to say the least.:surprise:
Yup,

I've been going back and forth between what locker to put in the back of my truck when I do a better gear ratio.

I'm wondering how all of the nanny's will act when I have something aggressive like a Detroit Locker or ARB air locker engaged. I'll surely have the ABS shut off fully whenever running the air locker so it may not be an issue.

I have also been put in some pretty scary situations when in sand or snow where the truck "decided for me" that it didn't need to have control of the braking.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What pin connectors did you use for this? I think this might be the route I take since I don't have an ELD and I'd prefer not to mess with factory wiring (esp ones outside the protection of the cab). Could you take some pics maybe? Thanks in advance
hey sorry for the delay i got some pics this morning of it just need to upload em off my phone and post em when i get off duty tonight.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hate it! First it disables your locker light like will get no notification when you lock on "some Trucks" ask me if should be designed to work on all not some.
then if you forget and leave it loced when you shut off ur truck it continues to feed electricty to the diff and will drain your battery over night
you need to manually shut off the diff when you shut off the truck

·
Registered
5 Posts
So if I do this mod I won't be able to switch in and out of 4wd? I'm thinking about making my switch the power for the locking differential so when I engage the e locker it will kill traction control I'm wondering if I'll be able to cycle between 4 high and 4 low. Or 2wd

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I found that I can easily go from 2hi to 4hi no matter how fast I was going. However when I went to shift in 4lo it wouldn't engage so I just flipped the outfitter switch off to my mod and put it in 4lo. Also the mod I did doesn't drain the battery when shut off.

Yes this was Dyzzles mod that I copied. Since there was no info about the mod I tried to document it for others to do the same.

·
Registered
553 Posts
hey sorry for the delay i got some pics this morning of it just need to upload em off my phone and post em when i get off duty tonight.
Thanks bud. A simple description of the wiring might help too :please:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks bud. A simple description of the wiring might help too :please:
I think he was referring to the Blade connectors that the end looks like a fuse and can slide in the fuse slot. Just make sure you put the fuse in line to protect the circuit and the expensive electronics.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I just did this mod on my 2016 yesterday. Going to Baja in a coupe of days. Anyways the mod still works. However the ELD (electric locking diff) wire color was supposed to be Brown with a violet stripe. It now looks like it is grey with violet stripe. I am sure it is still the BN-VT listed in the old diagram.

·
Administrator
21,550 Posts
Thanks for the bump, now more people can chime in and tell you how terrible this idea is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good news... the photobucket pics are back! I’m going to tackle this project this weekend. On another note, I did spend nearly an hour on the floor of my local Advance Auto Parts hub store last night, and I have some part numbers that may help a few people out. Both are BWD. The relay is R681 and the Pigtail (not required, but it makes it prettier) is PT193. If you have a commercial account and you flirt a little with the counter girl, you can score the pair for 20 bucks.

Attachments

21 - 37 of 37 Posts