Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been looking around at 06-07 f250 trucks and have narrowed my desires to the following:

1. Diesel (obviously)

2. Crew Cab

3. Lariat or King Ranch

4. 4x4 (preferably FX4)

5.White

However the one thing I still am undecided on is the bed length. I really like the look of the short bed but I like the 39 gallon capacity of the long bed. I like the maneuverability factor of the short bed but I like the cargo capacity of the long bed.

A short bed would suit me just fine for whatever I may be hauling but knowing that I have the bed space of a long bed would be nice. And a 28 gallon tank would be more than enough but going 500 miles between between fill-ups is really appealing.

It will probably be a year and a half before I pull the trigger on anything but I just want to narrow down my search now so when that day comes I'll know exactly what I want.

Insight and advice please!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
20,344 Posts
If your gonna lift it/ put bigger tires on IMO short beds look better:thumb:

Mine does anything I ask it too... Even hauls my Full size Polaris ATV with the tailgate closed!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Go with a long bed... I've never heard someone say they weren't happy with the extra space. I've heard countless people complain about having a short bed. The 38 gallon tank is great... filling it, not so much. BUT I went a little over 3 months before I needed to fill it this winter. :woot: If you plan on keeping a toolbox in the bed, you'll only have ~5' of usable bed space.

And the best thing about a long bed... when your girlfriend/wife kicks you out of the bed, you can always sleep in the bed. :hehe:

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,639 Posts
If your gonna lift it/ put bigger tires on IMO short beds look better:thumb:

Mine does anything I ask it too... Even hauls my Full size Polaris ATV with the tailgate closed!
Dude...... bigger tires and lift looks better on a long bed.

Long bed for looks, bed space if you use a tool box or anything like i do.

short bed for parking and if you don't ever haul anything.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bed length doesn't affect cab size at all does it? It might just look smaller because of the long bed.

Anyways, I won't have a toolbox and I'm not really concerned about having space issues with the short bed I just really like the bigger fuel tank and I wanted to see what your guys think.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i would do a long bed especially if if your gonna have a tool box cause then it feels like a standard bed

·
Premium Member
20,344 Posts
Dude...... bigger tires and lift looks better on a long bed.

Long bed for looks, bed space if you use a tool box or anything like i do.

short bed for parking and if you don't ever haul anything.
That must be why 90% of people on this forum compliment my truck huh....
:poke:

:hehe:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,639 Posts
That must be why 90% of people on this forum compliment my truck huh....
:poke:

:hehe:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
You do have a nice one. CCSB look good to a point on a lift and tires. I just like the longer truck for that.

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,639 Posts
I drive a crew cab long bed daily. And the other 3 trucks we have owned that are also crew cab long beds. To me and driving them at school and some other places, short beds are nice to park. But I love the bed space so I generally park else where I have no issues.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
I also drive a CCLB DRW, mind you its an '07 (the '05-'07 trucks have a better coil spring front end). Not too bad with all things considered.

Think a bit on this though, its your first truck and you're still in school - prospectively going to college next. The CCSB will be much easier to keep driving on a college campus, due to parking.

I went longbed, well because I can't see the point in a SB DRW. Its more space, better relation to a GN or 5th wheel hitch (should you ever need one). Just when you think, I could've went SB, you have that one load come along that would have been two trips. (At least been that way for me)

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am in agreement that a sb would be much more practical once I take it to college and everything. However the only thing that keeps me from deciding on the long bed is I feel like there's going to be that one load down the road that I couldve fit in long bed but need to make 2 trips in a short bed. Short bed seems like the way to go for me

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
And you are on the right path. Know what you are looking for, find the right truck, and enjoy it. (I'd lean toward a '05-'07, CCSB - unless you intend to GN or 5th with it in the future)

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
There is only so much room under the truck with a short box. And I'm pretty sure, from a safety standpoint (possibly legal) you can't have the tank under the cab at all.

You have a couple of options though, titan tank replacement, or a transfer tank in the bed (upto 98gal -if you sacrifice the bed/storage space).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts