Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been looking around at 06-07 f250 trucks and have narrowed my desires to the following:

1. Diesel (obviously)

2. Crew Cab

3. Lariat or King Ranch

4. 4x4 (preferably FX4)

5.White

However the one thing I still am undecided on is the bed length. I really like the look of the short bed but I like the 39 gallon capacity of the long bed. I like the maneuverability factor of the short bed but I like the cargo capacity of the long bed.

A short bed would suit me just fine for whatever I may be hauling but knowing that I have the bed space of a long bed would be nice. And a 28 gallon tank would be more than enough but going 500 miles between between fill-ups is really appealing.

It will probably be a year and a half before I pull the trigger on anything but I just want to narrow down my search now so when that day comes I'll know exactly what I want.

Insight and advice please!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
If your gonna lift it/ put bigger tires on IMO short beds look better:thumb:

Mine does anything I ask it too... Even hauls my Full size Polaris ATV with the tailgate closed!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on lifting and 100% agree that short beds look better

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
958 Posts
Go with a long bed... I've never heard someone say they weren't happy with the extra space. I've heard countless people complain about having a short bed. The 38 gallon tank is great... filling it, not so much. BUT I went a little over 3 months before I needed to fill it this winter. :woot: If you plan on keeping a toolbox in the bed, you'll only have ~5' of usable bed space.

And the best thing about a long bed... when your girlfriend/wife kicks you out of the bed, you can always sleep in the bed. :hehe:

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 person says short, 1 says long............. Thanks for making my decision that much harder guys lol

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,655 Posts
If your gonna lift it/ put bigger tires on IMO short beds look better:thumb:

Mine does anything I ask it too... Even hauls my Full size Polaris ATV with the tailgate closed!
Dude...... bigger tires and lift looks better on a long bed.

Long bed for looks, bed space if you use a tool box or anything like i do.

short bed for parking and if you don't ever haul anything.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bed length doesn't affect cab size at all does it? It might just look smaller because of the long bed.

Anyways, I won't have a toolbox and I'm not really concerned about having space issues with the short bed I just really like the bigger fuel tank and I wanted to see what your guys think.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i would do a long bed especially if if your gonna have a tool box cause then it feels like a standard bed

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Dude...... bigger tires and lift looks better on a long bed.

Long bed for looks, bed space if you use a tool box or anything like i do.

short bed for parking and if you don't ever haul anything.
That must be why 90% of people on this forum compliment my truck huh....
:poke:

:hehe:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,655 Posts
That must be why 90% of people on this forum compliment my truck huh....
:poke:

:hehe:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
You do have a nice one. CCSB look good to a point on a lift and tires. I just like the longer truck for that.

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,655 Posts
I drive a crew cab long bed daily. And the other 3 trucks we have owned that are also crew cab long beds. To me and driving them at school and some other places, short beds are nice to park. But I love the bed space so I generally park else where I have no issues.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
I also drive a CCLB DRW, mind you its an '07 (the '05-'07 trucks have a better coil spring front end). Not too bad with all things considered.

Think a bit on this though, its your first truck and you're still in school - prospectively going to college next. The CCSB will be much easier to keep driving on a college campus, due to parking.

I went longbed, well because I can't see the point in a SB DRW. Its more space, better relation to a GN or 5th wheel hitch (should you ever need one). Just when you think, I could've went SB, you have that one load come along that would have been two trips. (At least been that way for me)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am in agreement that a sb would be much more practical once I take it to college and everything. However the only thing that keeps me from deciding on the long bed is I feel like there's going to be that one load down the road that I couldve fit in long bed but need to make 2 trips in a short bed. Short bed seems like the way to go for me

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This truck is going to be my ride all through high school, college and after that. Im hoping to get at least 100k out of it

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
And you are on the right path. Know what you are looking for, find the right truck, and enjoy it. (I'd lean toward a '05-'07, CCSB - unless you intend to GN or 5th with it in the future)

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
There is only so much room under the truck with a short box. And I'm pretty sure, from a safety standpoint (possibly legal) you can't have the tank under the cab at all.

You have a couple of options though, titan tank replacement, or a transfer tank in the bed (upto 98gal -if you sacrifice the bed/storage space).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts