1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New guy here,
I hope someone can help 'cause I did a little damage to my truck-

I was trying to put on my new Amsoil/Injen intake- I got the whole stock assembly off- all the way back to the turbo and was in the process of installing the new intake when I discovered that the MAF that I have on my otherwise stock 2005 F350 is totally different than what will fit on the new intake- my stock MAF is a small part(about 2" in length and 1/2" diameter) which press fits inside a rubber grommet on the tube behind the air filter- the part which is shown in the instructions is a square piece about 2"x2" with the MAF attached to the bottom it looks like it attaches with bolts to the tube behind the air filter. Is it possible Ford made a change and there are different MAF's?
The part where I think I did a little damage is-while taking off the crankcase breather vent- I pulled the 90 degree elbow out of the part it was attached to and damaged the o ring holding it in place- normally I could just get another o ring and try to reattach it- however I will need to drive to go get it. Is it ok to drive with the crankcase breather elbow not totally sealed?
Any help you guys could give would be appreciated a lot!

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
That tube that presses in isnt the MAF. The MAF is the square box on top the screws to the tube. It is about 2x2 and has wires plugged in it. The tube is a vent hose done to the top of engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I mean- my truck doesn't have the square 2x2 box- it just has the small sensor with a plug in it which press fits in the tube- no box bolted on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I guess I am not being very clear-
The maf sensor on my truck is a small piece about 2" long and 1/2" round it has an electrical connection on one end and a small wire (which I presume is the sensor end) which press fits into the large air tube(sorry I don't know the exact name) which is behind the air cleaner. My unit does not have the 2"x2" box that bolts to the top it is just the probe I described above.
I guess I am asking 2 questions
1: can I drive the truck a short distance with the crankcase breather vent dislodged slightly at the 90 degree elbow(until I get a new o ring and seat it properly)?
2: Does any one else have the small maf probe without the larger 2x2 box on top and if so- have you had any problems with aftermarket intakes?
Thanks

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
OK, gotcha.....good question about the crankcase, not realy sure, I am not a tech so I dont wanna sure I dont see a problem as long as it is partially on, but wouldnt do it for long. But then you have a problem with it.:(

So, hopefully one that knows the answer will chime in.

Sorry, cant be anymore help.:dunno:

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
Don't think this will hurt you for short term. This is actually crankcase vent back to your intake. I would'nt be driving down dusty sandy roads for sure and suck that material up yer turbo. You may also get some oily gunk but prolly not excessivly.
May a tech will chime in with better info

·
Registered
443 Posts
Some turcks have an maf and some have an iat.:thumb: They both fit in the same hole but the maf has screws on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info- this one was kind of tricky because so many other of the exact same model and even year, have the maf-
My IAT (now that I know) doesn't fit in the hole for the MAF in the Amsoil/Injen intake (it is way too small) even the grommet is too small to fit it.
Hopefully this info will keep someone who has the same set up as me (no MAF-just an IAT) from spending big bucks on an aftermarket intake that won't work.
Thanks for your help

I guess I have to ask now- since my truck doesn't have an MAF- what does it use that replaces it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts