Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
WHEN I GOT MY EARLY PICKUP DROVE STRAIGHT TO FORD AND GOT RID OF THE GAY MIRRORS, PUT THE BIG ONES ON IT, FENDER BADGES AND 03 HEADLIGHTS, NEED TO GET RID OF CUP THROWING DEVICE, BUT WHATEVER, IS THERE A COMPRESSOR WHEEL AVAILABLE FOR THE EARLY LITTLE TURBO?
RUBBERDUCK:headbang1:

· Registered
277 Posts
Don't need one. Our turbo's have the wheel that the later models switch to avoid surge.

· Premium Member
3,590 Posts
BUT ISNT THERE A BETTER ONE FOR US?
Yep, its called the Dominator D-66 and it will set you back around $1,500.
The stock turbo wheel on the early 99 IS what the 99.5-03 boys call the wicked wheel.

· John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
^^^^^ What they said.......

· Registered
193 Posts
the e99 has some odd ball things such as diff brakes, turbos and hpops but a few good things, forged rods and a surge free turbo.
but there are not many upgrades for the early 99 turbo..
the wheel design is already surge free.
there may be housings but they are not very useful either .
direct bolt on turbo improvement comes in one of two ways
expensive and more expensive .

beans sells the d66 turbo a better performing turbo,$1200~1500 ish
and another popular performance turbo the h2e $2400 ish. the h2e can be upgraded down the line but that costs another 600 or so, but not really many other turbos can be upgraded. your other option is something like dieselsites 99.5+ conversion kit and a garret bb but the h2e will be cheaper.

your better off improving the hpop, which is also a smaller design then the 99.5+ , big oil is great for towing but at 2k or so not cheap,
a stock 99.5+ or modded 17° hpop will be better then the 15 on the early 99and handle bigger injectors if performance is your goal

also worth a note is stage 2 injectors is about it for a d66 turbo other wise look at the h2e or a gt38r or larger for hybirds stage 3 or bcodes etc..

there are other small things that can be a nice improvement ..
changing the pcm to a pmt1 or 2 will improve shifting some, make the cruise control light work, and get you slightly (very slight) but better mpg.
and is generally a more common pcm to write tunes for.

also powerslot brakes hawk pads made an improvement on my truck's stopping power.

enjoy your truck though.

· Registered
196 Posts
SO I HAVE BEEN WAITING TO INSTALL EDGE WITH ATTITUDE, FOR NO REASON, MY EARLY 99 IN STOCK TRIM IS GOOD ENOUGH? 99 WITHA 6 SPEED JUS FOR TOWING MY CAR TO DA BEACH, IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE ALL THESE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT INSERTS FOR TURBOS AND WHAT NOT. SEEMS OVERFUELED WITH SUPERCHIPS 1705, SO I THOUGHT NEED COMPRESSOR WHEEL, LOTSO TURBO LAG, SO I THOUGHT I NEED A COMPRESSOR WHEEL. IF I KNEW WHAT I WAS DOING I WOULD HAVE BIGGER PICTURES FOR MY RESPONSES, AND ALL MY PICKUP INFO WOULD SHOW EVERY TIME RESPONDED TO SOMETHING, EARLY 99 4X4 6-SPEED, AFE COLD BOX, SUPERCHIPS 1705, STRAIGHT 4IN,
help
RUBBERDUCK

· Registered
277 Posts
Rubberduck,
If I were you, I would ditch Superchips and the Edge and go straight to DP Tuner or Tony Wildman for a custom chip made for your truck. You won't believe the difference! When I got my DP and installed it, the truck seemed to pull hard throughout the powerband. Stock I was able to reach 17psi boost pressure and after the DP, 24-25 easily. DP or TW will be able to tune your truck in such a way to minimize the lag you feel.

· Registered
196 Posts
THE PROBLEM WITH DITCHING THE BIG EDGE ATTITUDE IS I HAVE HAD IT FOR A WHILE, STILL IN THE BOX, HAD IT SO LONG IM GONNA CALL EDGE TO SEE IF THERES AN UPDATE FOR IT, BEFORE I INSTALL THE WHOLE THING, AND THEN THE OTHER GUY SAYS EARLY TURBO WILL SURGE TOO..... IM CON FUSED!!!! SORRY IM A PAIN IN THE *** BUT IM TIRED OF SHOPS GIVING ME AN ANSWER THATS NOT STRAIGHT AND IT DOESNT REALLY ANSWER MY QUESTION IN THE FIRST PLACE, PLEASE HELP ME, GETTING DESPERATE, TO PROVE MY DESPERATION GO TO GENERAL DISCUSSIONS AND READ THE WHOLE POST :COLD WEATHER WARM UP MODE: IM GETTING TIRED AND HOPELESS!
RUBBERDUCK:bdh:

· Registered
2,355 Posts
Rubberduck, rule #1- take your damn caps lock off man!
On the issue of turbo surge- YES and early bird turbo CAN surge, but not nearly as easily or as often as the late style turbo. You have to be in a high boost/high load on the motor situation. Your early bird DOES have a WW stock so don't spend the money on one. If you want a better turbo, Bean's D66 is the only drop-in turbo for an early bird, everything else will require you to convert to a late style turbo (new turbo, pedistal, spyder pipe, boots, plenums, up-pipes, collector). Your Edge chip is okay for now, but they aren't the best thing out there. If you want to really experience what tuning can do for your truck, buy a DP Tuner or a TW chip- customed tuned for YOUR truck = better performance.
I responded in your other thread as well.

· Registered
196 Posts
i use my damn caps cuz its easier to read and its the reason bad spelling doesnt get by me!
let me guess you think im yelling, ill never understand how someone can determine if im yelling by capitol letters or not, i would understand if i was cussing at or belittling whoever i was responding to.

sorry if i have inconvience you or others IM NOT YELLING just a little crappy eyesight!

thanks for all the help:dunno:

rbrduck71

· Registered
277 Posts
THE PROBLEM WITH DITCHING THE BIG EDGE ATTITUDE IS I HAVE HAD IT FOR A WHILE, STILL IN THE BOX, HAD IT SO LONG IM GONNA CALL EDGE TO SEE IF THERES AN UPDATE FOR IT, BEFORE I INSTALL THE WHOLE THING, AND THEN THE OTHER GUY SAYS EARLY TURBO WILL SURGE TOO..... IM CON FUSED!!!! SORRY IM A PAIN IN THE *** BUT IM TIRED OF SHOPS GIVING ME AN ANSWER THATS NOT STRAIGHT AND IT DOESNT REALLY ANSWER MY QUESTION IN THE FIRST PLACE, PLEASE HELP ME, GETTING DESPERATE, TO PROVE MY DESPERATION GO TO GENERAL DISCUSSIONS AND READ THE WHOLE POST :COLD WEATHER WARM UP MODE: IM GETTING TIRED AND HOPELESS!
RUBBERDUCK:bdh:
Rubberduck,
I know how you feel. It's hard to find diesel shops that know powerstrokes because the fueling system is completely different than DMAX's and Cummins. If I were you, I'd sell the edge and put that toward a custom chip like many of us mentioned. As for the surge, I never experienced it with my truck and I've had it loaded with a 30' TT going up through the mountains. I can pull a max of 25psi right now. That's just my experience though.

· Registered
2,355 Posts
i use my damn caps cuz its easier to read and its the reason bad spelling doesnt get by me!
let me guess you think im yelling, ill never understand how someone can determine if im yelling by capitol letters or not, i would understand if i was cussing at or belittling whoever i was responding to.

sorry if i have inconvience you or others IM NOT YELLING just a little crappy eyesight!

thanks for all the help:dunno:

rbrduck71
No hard feelings on my end, but honestly I find all caps harder to read :D

· Registered
196 Posts
i imagine tw and dp are back east, i need more info on them, prices and what not, my edge is not a flash programmer, comes with a screen, i think five settings, shift on the fly settings, got a whole mess of things to install with it. out here in california they say for towing, power , and fuel mileage, i cant go wrong with the edge. i wanna be able to shift settings while driving, get mileage and power, and blow a little smoke now and then.
i still gotta figure out whats making my pickup run funny, in and out of warmup mode, unplugging it doesnt solve problem for me, however having control of it with a switch sounds like a cool idea! thanks for the help again guys!
duck

· Registered
193 Posts
there was a tuner that at one time could write custom tunes for certain units .
edge went with carb certification or something like that so jody at dp stopped but maybe you might try a few other tuners and see....seems like bill might do it.

· Registered
50 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
i imagine tw and dp are back east, i need more info on them, prices and what not, my edge is not a flash programmer, comes with a screen, i think five settings, shift on the fly settings, got a whole mess of things to install with it. out here in california they say for towing, power , and fuel mileage, i cant go wrong with the edge. i wanna be able to shift settings while driving, get mileage and power, and blow a little smoke now and then.
i still gotta figure out whats making my pickup run funny, in and out of warmup mode, unplugging it doesnt solve problem for me, however having control of it with a switch sounds like a cool idea! thanks for the help again guys!
duck
i havn't ran an edge product i've always heard bad things happen with edge products and transmissions, edge products by me have a rep of being trans busters. i have ran a basic ts chip didn't like it, have also ran a hypermax 90hp which was good then i put a banks 6 gun on and wasn't impressed with banks at all now i have what is in my sig a dp tuner from what i here jody and tony are really close in tunes its a prefrence matter
i went with dp b/c of the fact i could have more than 6 settings on a chip up to 16

· Registered
2,355 Posts
i ran mine up to 25+ and never surged:dunno:
I've had mine over 25 w/o surge too, but I have been able to get the "non-surging" early turbo to surge on a few occasions- high boost levels, pulling grade, trans decides to shift.
Wanastroker- the early's are as good as the late trucks, you just get to spend more money modding certain things (suspension, HPOP, etc).

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.