Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to create a new thread to get the most visibility. I read through the sticky at the top and had a question regarding it. The list has about 20 or so things that are different in the early 99's vs late 99.5+ Of that list of things that are different, are any of those considered a bad thing? I'm having a hard time telling since I'm new to the diesel thing.

One of the vehicles I'm considering looking at is 2/98 mfg date.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So there are no inherent flaws then with the early 99's? The price is good on this one I'm considering, but I want to make sure it's not because of problems the early 99's had.

I guess the question would be, had you to do it all over again. Would you skip buying an early 99 and get a later 99?

Thanks

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I guess that I can live with that. Of the aftermarket parts, I was thinking of the basic that everyone seems to do, air, chip and exhaust and probably airbags for pulling my travel trailer. Are those among the things that have limited support?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks CVDenson. This would only be a pulling rig, I have a 2007 F150 FX4 as my daily driver, but it doesn't pull my 7,800lbs trailer very well even with a CAI, Custom Tunes and a Magnaflow Exhaust, that and I'm worried about the tranny going out prematurely on it with pulling so close to my GCVWR (14,500 Max, I'm at 14,100). Thus my reason for looking into a 3rd vehicle just to go on our vacations with.

Alabamafrog, that's great info, I hadn't heard that before about the Air intake being leaky. I was told however, that putting an aftermarket CAI on might not be a good idea since the oils you put on those filters would get sucked into the turbo and cause basically the same thing your describing.

I'm curious about what you mean by the light duty statement though. Are you saying that all F250's were that way in early 99 or just some. Would you have to look up VIN's to figure that out? If so, how do you find out which ones were light duty?

Of the mods I was considering, probably DP Tuner, exhaust and intake of some kind. I thought I read on these forums that having a tuner has increased the MPG for most people. Was I dreaming about something to tell my wife to get her to sign off on it or is this true?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.