Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
329 Posts
differences in early 99

Only bad flaw with the early 99 is the same flaw most PSDs have, but it’s worse on the early 99 so look carefully before buying, the factory air box and intake can leak dust into the turbo and engine. Mine was this way when I bought it with 130k on it. I wasn’t as smart as you and I didn’t research before buying so I didn’t know to look. I wound up having to replace the turbo and rebuild the engine.

Wow ,what happened that you needed a rebuild?

· Registered
329 Posts
differences in early 99

Im curious because I bought this 99 from a person who lived on dirt roads.I pressure washed it all day to get the layers of Arkansas dirt off the under side. The truck runs ok,but I noticed a crack in the filter housing.This guy broke every snap in the truck.Even the pin on the steering column.Im cleaning everything up.All the filters & fluids ,bearings,and brakes.Even the emergency brakes & cables.Shocks were broke ,steering was out,i-beam was toast.One thing though,there's soot around the tubes of the inter cooler.I cleaned them up and tighten them down. I know if I look,Im gone take things apart.:hehe:
This is my first diesel,is this how they effect every one.:thumb:

· Registered
329 Posts
differences in early 99

Dust getting by the factory air intake ruined the turbo and the engine compression. Compression was down to 200-300 psi. Also the vales were worn out and sharp on the edges. Dust kills a PSD, cost me $4000 in parts and machine work to rebuild mine doing it myself. Got quotes from $7000 to $12,000 for a new engine. When buying a PSD definitely check the air intake for signs of dust and put a good filtration system on it like the DIY setup.
On the gassers I stuck a fitting in the spark plug hole to test for compression and would of like to seen 200-300 psi.Were /how do I test for compression and what should I be seeing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.