Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2003-early 2004 ICP sensor and the late 2004-2007 ICP sensor?

My truck's ICP sensor had been replaced by River City Diesel by the previous owner and I've been having some odd running issues that seem to have started when I put my 190cc/75% injectors in. I just bought Looney Wild for my truck a couple weeks ago and by the end of the week it had P2287 code saved and the truck felt like it had a lope tune on it. Put the SPD tune back on and it was gone. Drove the truck to Colorado last weekend and it just kept acting...odd? Pulled the ICP sensor and it's the late style sensor and the pigtail was soaked with oil but it didn't look like the sensor was leaking.

So, does anyone know if they are interchangeable?

·
Registered
746 Posts
You could try cleaning the oil off the connector, as the oil could making a weird cicuit.
Brake cleaner or wiring/contact cleaner, some kind of degreaser. Clean sensor terminals also. Put some die electric grease on it if you have some.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should have said in my original post I'm replacing the ICP sensor with the correct one, replacing the pigtail, and replacing the IPR valve. I don't like throwing money at something but my time is worth something to me and I don't want to take any chances.

The reason I asked is that I've read the newer sensors rarely go out so I'm curious why those with 2003 engines don't use them

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
The failure of the early MY are undoubtely due to excessive heat from being located under the turbo.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd read that too so I bought a Thermo-Tec Express Sleeve to put over the harness and sensor, supposedly it reflects over 90% of radiant heat so I thought it'd be worth a try

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I just googled that, good info. If you have been using the late my sensor, why would you go back? If your pigtail is oily, I would consider that a problem. I would assume some people would change sensors and not the pigtail because they are lazy and dont want the hassle. Apparently that happened in your case.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I'd read somewhere that one sensor reads 0 to 5 volts and one reads 0 to 4.7 volts? I never could find a definite answer and if they are 100% interchangeable, why wouldn't Ford just offer one sensor for all of them? It's just something I've been thinking about, thought I'd see if anybody knew

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
It's a good question, idk, i've seen others suggest the newer sensor because the early sensors fail. I believe it has more to do with the heat/location of the sensor.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts