Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference between a 3/4 and a 1 ton? is it only the leaf springs or is it in the axles and frame as well. would a 3/4 haul the same weight as a 1 ton if it had airbags installed or would a spring swap be needed. or would it never be able to safely haul the same weight?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I beleive it is the spring rating. however I wouldn't be afraid to but the air bag or air ride system on it and pull away

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are a few differences.
1) The Emblems
2) The Front Springs GAWR (4000-5600) actually can be the same depending on options
3) The Rear Springs GAWR are 6100 F250 or 7000 F350
4) GVWR on F250 is 9000 and either 10,100 or 11,400 on the F350
5) Rear Axle F250 is rated at 6200 and the F350 is rated at 7280
6) Rear Axle shaft spline minor diameter on F250 is 1.36" and on the F350 is 1.50". Also the splines is 35 on the F250 and 37 on the F350
7) 2 inch blocks for the F250 vs. 4 inch blocks for the F350

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I thought the rear ends were the same sterling 10.50 with 35 spline axles on the 250 and 350

·
Registered
13 Posts
They changed it starting in 2005 year. Before 05 I believe they are the same. This is for swr.

·
Registered
521 Posts
what is the difference between a 3/4 and a 1 ton? is it only the leaf springs or is it in the axles and frame as well. would a 3/4 haul the same weight as a 1 ton if it had airbags installed or would a spring swap be needed. or would it never be able to safely haul the same weight?
Then truck could handle it with no problem. What your going to have problems with is the LAW.
You need to check with the local DOT (and any DOT's your going to tow thru) and find out what they will allow. Also, if you go over the maximum rating of the truck you could be fine'd and have your truck sidelined while you loose weight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Then truck could handle it with no problem. What your going to have problems with is the LAW.
You need to check with the local DOT (and any DOT's your going to tow thru) and find out what they will allow. Also, if you go over the maximum rating of the truck you could be fine'd and have your truck sidelined while you loose weight.
The reason for the F350 4" blocks vs F250 2" blocks is to allow the rear end to sit higher so that there will be less sag in the rear. Also the larger axle size and the higher spline count of the F350 give it the higher gvwr.
I do notice a big difference between my old 97 F250 and my 05 F350. With the same load (1 1/2 yds of road base) the F250 seemed way overloaded compared to the f350. But there is also a big difference in the years between the two trucks. For the short haul overloading the F250 is no problem but I personally would not do it for a long haul. My biggest concern when hauling a load is not getting going or how much power I have it is will I be able to stop and not overheat my brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts