Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally don't blast a company but I have zero issues with providing my honest opinion after dealing with them by email. I bought Dieselsite intercooler boots for my 6.4 Powerstroke because I had issues with the stock Ford silicone boots on my previous 6.0 Powerstroke. I had the boots on my 6.4 for less than 6 months before the hotside boot blew off while towing. I tightened it to specs and went again. In the last 2 years I have only put 15,000 miles on my truck and most of it was towing. Every single trip I've towed on, I've been stuck on the side of the road resetting the hotside upper boot. This last time it was blowing off every 50 miles and so to get home I had no choice but to tighten past the crimp until it bent my hotside pipe. The boot itself was completely worn out on the inside with obvious melting.

I didn't get mad, take it personal, or blast Dieselsite. I sent them an email, explained the issue and sent pictures. I recommended they fix their issue with the hotside boot and to have a nice day. They replied to my email with my pictures and an arrow pointing to the bend telling me that I used the boot wrong. My email clearly explained why the bend was there, in fact both bends because I first attempted to overtighten on the correct side so I could get home without paying a tow truck. Even after replying and explaining it again, Dieselsite decided to email me to say that I was using their boot wrong and lots of people have these boots with no issue.

I wasn't looking for new boots or compensation, I was honestly letting them know they had an issue. There is NO reason a hotside boot should melt within 15,000 miles and I am extremely cautious about my EGTs and boost. Since this episode I have switched over to Mishimoto intercooler, hotside pipe, and hotside boots which I like a ton more because I'm seldom hitting 1000 degrees up hill and the hotside boots have a metal wire around them to keep them from expanding and blowing off. I even had to send Mishimoto an email because their transmission cooler adapter was welded in the wrong spot. To which they replied, thanks for the input, we will send your pictures to the engineers so they can look into it. Here is a first aid kit for your troubles. Hey Dieselsite, see how easy that was?

Attachments

·
Administrator
30,634 Posts
Not sure what to say I use their boots with no issue

does the boot have a protrusion to fit in the tubes groove ?

or did you run the steel ring insert ?

IME once a boot lets go for whatever reason ( usually a loose clamp ) they balloon and never seat properly again

I had a brand new OEM boot do this ( likely my fault ) and I went with the diesel site boot and clamps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ran the boot as provided to me with their clamp. I found a thread elsewhere about their older boots having issues with melting but the company assured me it wasn't the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts