Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Alright, I've got a really important question to ask. I need to know (via articles based on facts) whether or not diesels actually produce more or less pollutants into the environment than gassers. I've always been told that Diesels run cleaner than gassers, but I'm having a hard time convincing my friend that I'm right with no facts to back it up. If you've got links to send me, please do. Thanks guys! :thumb:

And if I'm wrong, please let me know. All I know is strictly from hearsay, not actual research and facts.

The little research that I've done on the matter was conducted in California, and we all know that fornians hate anything awesome like diesels and guns. :hehe: So their work is biased in my eyes.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
:popcorn2:... very interested in some more info myself.

·
Registered
240 Posts
this is a little common sense imo but gassers have had strict emissions for how long now? diesels are just getting into it so i would assume the smog nazi's think diesels are atleast a little cleaner

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
nahh, they probably just had to contend with the Trains, Buses, Boats, Trucks and everything else running diesel in the industries. Once they started going green themselves or got exemptions it was easier for the EPA to attempt to regulate the consumer market.

Bad example here. Think about the NRA, anytime gun related proposal comes up, the NRA jumps in to protect our rights. But imagine if somehow the government came up with some idea or method that appeased the NRA and then made a law taht the consumer didn't like. Without the NRA backing us, we don't stand a chance in court without lots of money.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Dig a little deeper I did a lot of speeches in college about this. And it turns out the diesels produce about 20% less pollutants. And E85 is actually worse than regular gasoline too. Go figure.

That and abolishing the electoral college are my 2 goto speeches. PM me if you want me concrete proof I will pull up my old speeches.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dig a little deeper I did a lot of speeches in college about this. And it turns out the diesels produce about 20% less pollutants. And E85 is actually worse than regular gasoline too. Go figure.

That and abolishing the electoral college are my 2 goto speeches. PM me if you want me concrete proof I will pull up my old speeches.
A bit ot, but did you know that for every megawatt of wind we use the government requires us to have an equal amount of megawatts of coal spining in reserve? This means you still burn the coal, but the energy is wasted so the greenies can see the windmills turning.

Also, if I remember correctly, the mpg gain by diesel over gas gives it a net advantage also.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
A bit ot, but did you know that for every megawatt of wind we use the government requires us to have an equal amount of megawatts of coal spining in reserve? This means you still burn the coal, but the energy is wasted so the greenies can see the windmills turning.
Is that actually legit? :dunno:

·
Registered
800 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The mpg gain diesels have over gassers easily outweighs the pollutants we output. Just look at the VW Jetta. Regular gas version gets 31 mpg highway, TDI version gets 42 highway. In a 100,000 mile life cycle, the gasoline version would have burned 3,225 gallons worth of fuel. While the diesel version would only have burned 2,380. That's almost 1,000 gallons less fuel burnt over the life of the vehicle.

Now you tell me, which one is harming the environment more?

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mpg gain diesels have over gassers easily outweighs the pollutants we output. Just look at the VW Jetta. Regular gas version gets 31 mpg highway, TDI version gets 42 highway. In a 100,000 mile life cycle, the gasoline version would have burned 3,225 gallons worth of fuel. While the diesel version would only have burned 2,380. That's almost 1,000 gallons less fuel burnt over the life of the vehicle.

Now you tell me, which one is harming the environment more?
THAT is a very good point, and it shows that using Diesel fuel is much more efficient to get the job done, yes. But his arguement, is how much more damaging is diesel to the environment versus gasoline. He knows that in the long run, Diesels can get the job done more efficiently (using less fuel) but what's the trade off? Soot.

He claims that Diesels produce so much soot that it causes more harm than good. Which is why California's Smog committee hates diesels and has such harsh regulations for them. It also explains why China and countries that primarily use diesel engines have such problems with smog and acid rain, etc etc etc...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Fine pollutants is the main cause for Diesel concern along with NoX. That's why new trucks have DPF's and all of that happy stuff. In Detroit they were finding that the Garbage trucks with DPF's actually had cleaner air coming out of the exhaust that what was going into the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts