Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just made a trip from Florida to Michigan and at one of the stations I stopped at they had "#2 Diesel" and "Premium Diesel". What the hack is the difference besides 5 cents a gallon and a piece of mind of running the "premium" stuff? I used the #2, and it ran fine, but it got my curiosity going. By the way, both had the ULSD sticker on them.
-Aaron

·
Registered
601 Posts
maybe a #1 and #2 mix :dunno:
i really have no idea

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh...I kind of wondered about that, but it would really tick me off if I bought "Premium Diesel" and got worse gas mileage...lol.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I have seen #1-#2 mix but it was labeled as such.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i was buying "Premium" Fuel this winter. ran no different than any other fuel, and mileage was only a fractional difference. and by fractional, I mean no more than 1mpg.

maybe I was told it was premium...but it wasnt :hehe:

sub'd to learn more

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
I just googled this as I have never heard of it either:dunno:

Premium diesel has additives to improve CN and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersant, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs. More biocides added in the south in summer, more ant-gel added in the north in winter. Most retailers who sell premium diesel will have little brochures called POPs (Point of Purchase) at the counter explaining what’s in their fuel. Please don’t ask the poor clerk behind the counter any technical questions after reading this discussion. All they need to know how to do is sell you beer, milk, cigarettes, lottery tickets, and take your money.

Texaco and Amoco are two big names who sell premium diesel in limited markets. Amoco primarily sells its Premier to specialized industrial and agricultural markets. I cannot get either in my area. Most fuel retailers buy additives or buy treated fuel. In the Northern plains states, Koch is a well-known marketer of premium diesel. I buy it when I travel into Northern Wisconsin.

·
Registered
813 Posts
i just noticed a signed today for premium at a local station (shell) and it got my curiosity up. ill check a price difference and fill up next time to see if it is worth it. i would like to see more about this.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The station I saw it at was a Shell also, only it was in Michigan. I might have to research this a bit more....at least to see what the additives are.
-Aaron

·
Registered
37 Posts
The local truck stop here claims nothing but a jug of cetane booster they poor in the tanks. Literally, the same stuff I buy at Wal-Mart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts