Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am not one to pump my own fuel, NJ doesnt allow it and since I work so much I dont get out of the state that often. I went on my trip to NC last week and I ran into the same thing in two places. One station was a BP and one was a Royal Farms. Both nozzles didnt fit in my truck, can someone explain to me why??? I had to stand and hold the pump to create the vacuum so it would go in, the 2nd time at BP i turned my head for a second only to find out that I was going to take a bath in diesel fuel when it shot back at me.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
You were at the big rig pumps. If you want to solve that issue order a filler neck from a 2001 up truck. The big ones will fit

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried 2 pumps at one station, one had a green handle and one had a black one and they both wouldnt work. What if you have a diesel car? The Royal Farms only had 1 diesel pump as well. I figured it was my filler neck but I mean come on! I looked like an idiot trying to pump fuel into my truck when in that sense I am not! Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
I never have any problems, lol.
That's because the filler neck on your truck is the newer style. My brother's got a 2000 PSD and has the same problem. The pumps for the big rigs have a larger oriface and flow more fuel quicker. Some stations don't carry diesel in pumps with the automotive style nozzle. In '01 they changed the fill neck on our trucks.

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw a guy with an 04 or newer ifo of me and I was like wtf am I doing wrong, he got to stand there and just wait till it filled while I looked like someone who doesnt know how to walk or breathe.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I didn't know they put a smaller filler neck on the 99's. That has to suck, I fill up at truck stops a lot too and found that some pumps are a tighter fit than others.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Yep my 2000 was the same way, the fix will take 15 min and a dremel tool. The filler neck is held on with three screws around the cap, you will need to loosen the two hose clamps underneath, then simply remove the filler neck. Take a dremel took with straight cutter head and cut the thin sheetmetal back all the way, this will open it up nice and big and now you can use the Big Boy bumps. Wash the shaving out real goo and reinstall, honestly takes almost as long to type as it does to actually do it.

NCH

·
Banned
71 Posts
!

The diesel pumps on the big rig side are the large nozzle. The diesel pumps on the side with the gasoline are the small size.

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate asking questions on here because it makes me seem so dumb, I am just annoyed that my new pair of sneakers are ruined lol. I turned my head for 2 seconds and it just went everywhere! I spend an hour installing a water pump before my trip to NC and that was easy, I didnt need to replace it but for some reason all the bolts on the thermostat housing snapped right off with no effort whatsoever, easier to buy and put in a pump than to drill out and re-tap. I figured I am smart enough to fix things but not smart enough to pump my own gas. I hate jersey because they wont let you.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Does that mean with my '08 I can't use the Big Boy pumps either?

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your 08 can, its just 00 and lower I guess. I just go to citgo here in jersey and some guy is always there to pump, the big rig guys pump their own lol. Citgo here has one for a car and one for a truck, same unit with 2 nozzles. This tractor trailer was stuck using the car one while I used the larger one lol

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Does that mean with my '08 I can't use the Big Boy pumps either?
Anything 01 up can use the big boy pumps. older than that you have to either replace the filler neck or attack the old one with the dremel.

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I am headed down there again the first week of september so I need to do something, I fillup twice the entire trip there and back but its soooooo annoying.

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My filler doesnt have a flapper or anything and the truck lived in PA from 0 miles to 204k so idk if that even remotely makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
My filler doesnt have a flapper or anything and the truck lived in PA from 0 miles to 204k so idk if that even remotely makes a difference.
Doesnt matter. Diesels dont have the flapper because they dont have the vacuum system like a gasser.

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was reading another thread that said that someone had one but maybe I cant read, I have been at work since 3am and am crosseyed right now.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
So you are saying that pre 2001 trucks have a filler hole the size of gassers? Strange. My 2000 has the big one, i can use big rig fillers. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts