Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have to give a controversial speech in my JGEN 498 class (Technical Writting). I decided to do a speech entitled on "Why the EPA is bad for diesel fuel". It would be great if you guys and gals could post some links about diesel fuel and especially about EGR mandates and why regeneration is such a bad system. Thanks for the help guys.:thumb:

-AJ

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Just get up there and go "cummins and Ultra Low Sulfer" and sit down...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone got any diagrams on how regen works, pictures ect.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
I know one good point you could throw in, the fact that the regen burns a lot of fuel, making the trucks get crappy mileage. So they are wasting fuel to prevent pollution. Seems as if they are creating more pollution trying to stop it.:doh:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
EPA is bad all around for the automotive industry. I still don't understand why we as a country have to suffer with all these restrictions. When other countries are polluting the crap out of the world. In my opinion it is all a big governtmental conspiracy.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know one good point you could throw in, the fact that the regen burns a lot of fuel, making the trucks get crappy mileage. So they are wasting fuel to prevent pollution. Seems as if they are creating more pollution trying to stop it.:doh:
Thats going to be in the speech for sure, I just need some pictures of regen though to explain to the class.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
How about mentioning how reliable the 7.3's are and how unreliable the 6.0's ended up being (no offense 6.0 guys, just COMPARED TO the 7.3) after EGR's and everything else was added, besides the fact it was supposed to be a new and cleaner engine... And how much money was invested in engineering the 6.4 and the 08 in general, and the ole 7.3 gets twice it's mileage with 3 times the miles on it. I'd like to hear about that. Not to mention that regen mode is a little dangerous if you ask me. Besides the just-as-dangerous-toxins being BURNED, the immense heat coming off that thing. What if some little girl walks by it during regen and she's right at the tail pipe and it's at 1100 rpms pumpin out 300 degree (at least) fumes at her? Think the EPA's gonna pay that bill? NO. Talk to TwinTurboStroker, he loves the EPA, and knows regen inside and out. :nod:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good stuff guys, I need some other opinions than just 1 diesel owner on the EPA in the speech. Others are welcome to speak their mind about the EPA, the more the merrier? Right? lol

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's some general info on how it works.

What Fleet Managers Should Know About Diesel Particulate Filters - Article - Work Truck

Honestly I think it will be kinda hard to prove that it is bad for a diesel engine with fact, wish I had a better answer for you.
Thanks for that...its printed.

I don't really have to prove, just get people fired up to ask questions. The speech is more about how we handle what the class throws at us. I will be talking about how there is a decrease in mpg (claims I have read) with ULSD and how there is less lubricity with this fuel because of the lack of sulfer (in older engines). Stuff along those lines.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Takes more energy to refine ULSD. fuel pump and injectors wear out fast, which takes more energy to build more of them. U.S. milage is less than europe becouse of epa.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ok I just had a revelation after reading snowman's post. What should be the main concern about all of this EPA/Environmental stuff, well it's one word that is being throw around more than a blown PMR now a days, "Carbon Footprint".

There are countless "Carbon Footprint" calculators out there that will tell you how much carbon you are putting in the atmosphere. Here's a number of questions to look into that would explain if the EPA is actually setting out to do what they want by using the DPF.

Remember I know this will be hard but if you did it with Carbon foot print terms you may have a good argument.

1) How much energy/carbon does it take to make one gallon of ULSD?
2) How much energy/carbon is wasted with the decreased mileage of a DPF compared to a non DPF truck (need to compare similar trucks here) and remember with the decrease in mileage if will take more energy to make more fuel, and remember the regen process takes more fuel.
3) How much carbon is a released into the atmosphere with a non DPF truck?
4) How much with a DPF truck?
5) How much carbon/wasted energy does it take to rebuild an injector pump, injectors etc. because ULSD wiped it out.

The list could go on. But my point it that the EPA has is requirement for the particulate that can be released into the environment from a diesel. But with the methods that they are choosing to do so with (ULSD, DPF, EGR), doesn't it really decrease the particulates released into the environment in the long run, who know, but I'd like to think not.

Maybe you could write the paper, call BS on the EPA forcing them to come to the realization that they are idiots and need something better other than trying to put a blind fold over the publics eye to make everyone happy. Think about it you'd become a hero to the diesel world and to the environment for bringing power back to diesels and making the trees happy

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I just had a revelation after reading snowman's post. What should be the main concern about all of this EPA/Environmental stuff, well it's one word that is being throw around more than a blown PMR now a days, "Carbon Footprint".

There are countless "Carbon Footprint" calculators out there that will tell you how much carbon you are putting in the atmosphere. Here's a number of questions to look into that would explain if the EPA is actually setting out to do what they want by using the DPF.

Remember I know this will be hard but if you did it with Carbon foot print terms you may have a good argument.

1) How much energy/carbon does it take to make one gallon of ULSD?
2) How much energy/carbon is wasted with the decreased mileage of a DPF compared to a non DPF truck (need to compare similar trucks here) and remember with the decrease in mileage if will take more energy to make more fuel, and remember the regen process takes more fuel.
3) How much carbon is a released into the atmosphere with a non DPF truck?
4) How much with a DPF truck?
5) How much carbon/wasted energy does it take to rebuild an injector pump, injectors etc. because ULSD wiped it out.

The list could go on. But my point it that the EPA has is requirement for the particulate that can be released into the environment from a diesel. But with the methods that they are choosing to do so with (ULSD, DPF, EGR), doesn't it really decrease the particulates released into the environment in the long run, who know, but I'd like to think not.

Maybe you could write the paper, call BS on the EPA forcing them to come to the realization that they are idiots and need something better other than trying to put a blind fold over the publics eye to make everyone happy. Think about it you'd become a hero to the diesel world and to the environment for bringing power back to diesels and making the trees happy
You sir are AWSOME:thumb: Thank you!

That is going into the speech.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You sir are AWSOME:thumb: Thank you!

That is going into the speech.
No prob man, now go post some more pics in my Farm Tractor Thread!! I know you got em.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No prob man, now go post some more pics in my Farm Tractor Thread!! I know you got em.
I don't have any farm tractors personally, but I got some from work I will get up for ya:thumb:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Carbon footprint. I don't think there's any regs on that one yet.
How much carbon does Al Gore use to fly his privet plane, or Nancy Polises big Speaker jet so there's room for her elitists entourage. The Elitists aren't to worried about it becouse now we need to emitt more carbon to build injector pumps

Al Gore is getting kinda porky, think his personal carbon footprint is bigger than most of us here!!!:hehe::hehe::hehe:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts