Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I wanted to get you opinion on 7.8 turbo diesel engines that were made by NewHolland? I know some say these are the million mile engines but wanted to get you opinions.

I was looking at an 1990 F800 that has been converted into a pick-up but was not sure about these engines or what trans come with it.

thanks for you input guys.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
although i have no information on this engine i would like to see a picture of that truck lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
^ im with him on this one!

·
Registered
73 Posts
great motor for its time, they were made in brazil... when i bought mine it was a used power authority truck for drilling telephone poles into the ground. had low miles but about 9k hours. runs great, reasonable on fuel. it needs the pesky muffler off and turn the fuel pump up a lil and its a whole different machine... some people are quick to say that anything in the past was junk... but go to any truck auction and see how many old timers look for the brazilian under the hood

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
some people are quick to say that anything in the past was junk... but go to any truck auction and see how many old timers look for the brazilian under the hood
I think that's because comparatively, they are not as good. Reality.
And I also think that the old timers look for those because they are familiar with them and don't trust the new diesels because of technology, which is an unfounded fear.

Anyway, OP, might wanna try the general diesel forum. Maybe more ppl will see it :dunno:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I lost out on the sale. The guy was super schetchy when started asking questions about it the replied to one of my emails saying it was sold and that my emails were to long and that's not how to make a deal. I'll post pics of it for you guys Ina little bit

·
Registered
36 Posts
That sucks about the deal fallin thru... Still want pics tho

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Pictures please.
Doug

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, Im not sure if they guy selling was the guy who built it. Im in NC and the truck was in FL. So I emailed him a couple questions about the build and he was really short with me. So Im thinking he didn't build it because anyone who builds a custom truck has no problem answering a couple questions.

Anyway... here is a pick.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
that thing is freaking sweet i want one so bad lol

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, thats what Im talking about. I have always wanted one. I have come close to pulling the trigger on a F650 Super truck. They are out there with decent prices but still too rich for my blood. I actually went to Augusta GA to see where they were built when I was down there on business. They are sick trucks.

I have seen a few like the one above. Guys make trucks like this out of Ford F700/800s and Chevy C7s, C6s, ect.

Its really not that hard to do from what I have read but you still have to register them as 6800lb trucks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone have an ideal what the wheelbase is on that Truck.
I have a F800 with a 60" STandup Sleeper 10 Speed Road Ranger and the 7.8 diesel with 10,000 miles on the motor Will be painting it the main color of our camper below. Will be rebuilding the truck and sleeper in the next few months.

Will be pulling our 41ft 5th wheel camper with it after redoing the whole truck.

If it does not work out for the camper. Will be throwing on a Pickup bed and making a pickup out of it.:haha:

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Welcome to the Org. Great looking old truck. Hope you post more pictures of both.
They were good old Hotshot trucks and did fine with a big box on the back. I am thinking it's about 240 HP. You may be able to get 275 or up to 300 HP out of it. It's going to ride ruff so put a air ride hitch on the truck or one on the Fifth Wheel. I would love that 10 speed for pulling a Fifth wheel, if I were only using it to pull the Fifth wheel I think I would take the transmission apart and change 9 th and 10 th gears around to make 10 th a overdrive. Can't tell but what kind of RV is that? How long have you had this truck and are you still from Winona, MS?

Doug

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome to the Org. Great looking old truck. Hope you post more pictures of both.
They were good old Hotshot trucks and did fine with a big box on the back. I am thinking it's about 240 HP. You may be able to get 275 or up to 300 HP out of it. It's going to ride ruff so put a air ride hitch on the truck or one on the Fifth Wheel. I would love that 10 speed for pulling a Fifth wheel, if I were only using it to pull the Fifth wheel I think I would take the transmission apart and change 9 th and 10 th gears around to make 10 th a overdrive. Can't tell but what kind of RV is that? How long have you had this truck and are you still from Winona, MS?

Doug
Doug yes its the 240 HP and been turned up at the pump. The tran's will be turned, back up to the dash to Haul Butt.:taze: Nothing like an overdrive trans to drop those RPM's down where it needs to be. I will say for 240 HP it has the power and pulls like crazy.
Truck has air ride off the back of the bed Big air bags under the frame both sides. Left a lock laying on the hump over the tire and it was there 20 miles later. And roads are rough. Have the hitch on the camper also.
Camper is a 2012 Heartland Landmark Key Largo.

Bought the truck last week, its a Tn truck. May have been one from Winona like it not sure. But Went from Tn years ago to Ky then back to Tn 9 years ago. I'm North of Corinth Ms, Adamsville Tn.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you, some paint and polish on the wheels and chicken
lights will make it look a lot better. How many miles is showing on the truck? What year is it?
Doug

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
You taking the big fuel tank off the bed when you paint it, or are you leaving it on?
I bet some new LoPro tires would make it look better and ride and drive better also.
When I had my 1984 CCLB with SRW, I had Chicken lights down both sides and
Honda M/C Turn lights under the front bumper. It was lite up. LOL
Doug

·
Registered
22 Posts
You taking the big fuel tank off the bed when you paint it, or are you leaving it on?
I bet some new LoPro tires would make it look better and ride and drive better also.
When I had my 1984 CCLB with SRW, I had Chicken lights down both sides and
Honda M/C Turn lights under the front bumper. It was lite up. LOL
Doug
Yes will be taking the loader and sitting the big fuel tank off next week. It had dual 50 gallons on the side now and a 120 under it. Will be doing a mod on the 120. Fixing a dump valve where we can pump our holding tanks into it from the Camper. Then go to the RV Dump rther then drag around one of those blue tanks most people use.

Plans are to add LP25.5's on it and never have liked white letter tires. But seen a black single cab with a bed on it in the town were in today. It looks good with the letter's marked up in white. There's also a newer looks like a 650 to 800 black one in this town (Lafayette Tn) its a single cab and looks to be 4x4

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
This has to be one of the best threads I have seen on the ORG in a while. I would rock the s**t out of that ride. Clean that puppy up and throw some paint, polish, and chrome on her with as many lights the DOT will allow! Maybe I'm just bias because I'm a trucker lol.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts