Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took awhile, but they finally published one of the main reasons for the 6.0 issues........... The oil cooler and neglected coolant maintenance!!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Is that the November issue? I can't download it in my iPad yet. :(

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, November issue. Page 72.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
How the hell do you download them to your iPad?
Zinio magazine app. The subscriptions are like 25% cheaper too. The only downside is you have to wait a few days after it comes out on paper. I get an email when it's available for download. Really worth it since I'm only home about 2 weeks a month.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
too bad they fail to mention that ford gold coolant is the reason why the oil coolers are pluggin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am thinking about writing to them to do some research on the ford coolant and publish those results

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
The problem is that mag is ALWAYS 6 months behind what we already know. It's like showing up at work tomorrow bragging about your new iPhone 4.

·
Registered
371 Posts
at least they talked about proper coolant maintenence

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
I figured that out years ago with my first experience with coolant burping. Back when we thought Evans Coolant was going to save us...LOL

·
Registered
371 Posts
at least they talked about proper coolant maintenence

·
Registered
148 Posts
HA, how goes it? So with someone still running Gold and changed at 100k mile mark per the Orig owner, with no coolant filter and seeing deltas of 6-9 degrees on the highway (summer), would yall suggest a coolant filter first? I'm thinking PMM coolant filter much later this year. Coolant appears clear in degas bottle. Have considered Rotella ELC, but have same concerns with attempting flush/cleanser or just do regular flush.
-Will

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Honestly if your going to keep the OEM cooler get IPR's high flow coolant filter along with their adapter plate for the oil cooler. This allows for 100% of the coolant entering the oil cooler to be filtered before entering the oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
HA, how goes it? So with someone still running Gold and changed at 100k mile mark per the Orig owner, with no coolant filter and seeing deltas of 6-9 degrees on the highway (summer), would yall suggest a coolant filter first? I'm thinking PMM coolant filter much later this year. Coolant appears clear in degas bottle. Have considered Rotella ELC, but have same concerns with attempting flush/cleanser or just do regular flush.
-Will
Just rockin' along as always. Good to see you around the boards.

With the small delta you have I'd just keep it simple. Install a filter (if you desire), flush with distilled water, and refill. Now I have read somewhere that the chemical difference in the ELC and Gold will cause the protective chemical layer from the Gold to flake off. This is said to start the upward spiral of the EOT/ECT split. I'm not a chemist nor do I understand how a layer of protection is formed from the coolant. Needless to say it might be best to stay with Ford Gold, just flush and fill to spec.

·
Registered
148 Posts
HA... I visit, just not able to wrench/mod the truck currently. Did not know or have seen the chemistry aspect of Gold coolant leaving a protective layer. I will probably lean towards the PMM bypass, although the IPR seems more effective and $.
Not to highjack the thread, but whats the opinion on IPR's coolant filters vs. PMM/Dieselsite, etc..?

- Will

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i get diesel power and diesel world delivered to my door. i think last months was DIY HEAD STUDS..
THIS MONTH OIL COOLER
2 months in a row 6.0 is one of the main topics people finally figuring out if you fix it its a good truck

·
Registered
445 Posts
i get diesel power and diesel world delivered to my door. i think last months was DIY HEAD STUDS..
THIS MONTH OIL COOLER
2 months in a row 6.0 is one of the main topics people finally figuring out if you fix it its a good truck
As far as resale value goes, I like it more when the people selling and buying them think that they are trouble. It made my recent purchase cheaper. :D

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
ha yeah but now i own one and i want the resale to go back up if i ever was to sell.

·
Registered
445 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts