Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for any tips advice on what to look for when looking at truck before purchase, the truck I am looking at is a 2006 f350 6.0 lariat with around 80k miles.

Any advice is highly appreciated, also any discount sites for oil/filters/coolants that you use and what products that you do use.

·
Registered
243 Posts
there's an awful lot of threads exactly like this. I would recommend you spend a couple days reading this and a couple of other forums. There are threads already stickied at the top titled such things as "So you're thinking of buying a 6.0L" and "New owner- what you need to know".

Quickly, you need to find out the condition of a few things before you buy. To do this you need to take an electronic monitor/gauge with you and take a long, interstate half hour test drive. There are just a couple of specific monitors we recommend, because most don't communicate well enough with this truck.

There are some specific things you want to look out for. Not that they will necessarily mean you should stay away from this truck, but you need to know about them because they could shortly cost you a few thousand bucks. If you can use that info to get the price down and have that much available then that might still be a good buy.

Other things we'll tell you that truck should be avoided at any cost.

You just kinda have a lot of reading to do, it's difficult to get it all into a single thread especially when it's already been discussed to death everywhere.

Changing the oil in this truck will cost you about a hundred bucks, if you do the work yourself. But, you only need to do it every 5,000 miles.

If you are not interested in learning and doing your own work under the hood, this truck is gonna cost you a bundle.

If you do pay somebody else, check these forums for their reputation first. If they aren't specifically experienced on the 6.0L, they can hurt your truck. This is true for Ford Dealerships and for any other mechanics.

Read up first before you buy any kind of performance equipment. For some things, the OEM equipment is superior. For other things, there are specific good parts and everything else will hurt your truck.

We have sources to get parts and filters and fluids at the best prices.

We read about a whole lot of problems here, but there are a lot of us who are very happy with these trucks. You just need to get educated, preferably BEFORE you choose. You should be able to find the truck you want, at a good price, and in good and/or fixable condition. You may have to pass on the first one that catches your eye to accomplish that, however.

I wish I'd been smart enough to come learn all this stuff before I chose my truck. It turns out I got lucky and I'd still pick this truck, but that could have been a very expensive lesson.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts