Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 8500 miles on the 2020 F250. A couple of days ago i was going to clean the air filter. It is totally re-done, different than my prior 2018. Upon pulling it, i removed the foam type cover that had been installed over the actual filter. Per Ford tech it is there to quiet or deaden the sound.
Took a 220 mile drive today thru Alma, Breckinridge, Vail, and back home, all high altitude using cc. Double and triple jumped campers in the mountains hitting about 85, cruised mostly with 5 mph of the speed limit- 60-65 through mountains. Filled up at Divide on the way out, same pump topped of at return. Hand calculated 23 mpg.
Not bad...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very nice, I knew the ten speed would help MPG! Do you have 3.55 rear?

I dont get that in my 20 F450, I get around 17-18 in the VA-TN hills unloaded where as my 19 F250 got around 18-20 so all-in-all I am happy with it

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice, I new the ten soeed would help MPG! Do you have 3.55 rear?

I dont get that in my 20 F450, I get around 17-18 in the VA-TN hills unloaded where as my 19 F250 got around 18-20 so all-in-all I am happy with it
the rear end;
3:31

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is the 10 Speed transmissions a huge improvement over the 6 speed? In terms of performance and MPG?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I look to Fuelly.com for some guidance on long run mpg's. On a flat section of road my 2018 can hit 20-21mpg and keep that for as long as I'm steady on speed and flat. But, to do that over the course of an entire tank of fuel? Not likely. Maybe if you make long runs in Kansas or Florida. But, in PA you have hills. Hills kill mpg's.
I am sure there are some unicorns out there...but I have had 2 F350's(2012 and 2018) and lifetime average (normal driving and towing combined) is 16.1mpg on the '12 and 15.9 on the '18.
I deleted the '12 and put 60,000 miles on with delete and the delete added less than .5mpg improvement. And, I drive it easy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my '21 6.7 F-250 last week and am only at about 500 miles, but I've watched as my mileage has slowly climbed to 22-24 mpg. Very happy with that.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I just got my '21 6.7 F-250 last week and am only at about 500 miles, but I've watched as my mileage has slowly climbed to 22-24 mpg. Very happy with that.
Are you saying you're able to get 22-24 mpg on a full tank of fuel, or that you see those numbers for snapshots of driving?
If you get that on full tanks of fuel, then you have something amazing going on. I'd be interested in what you got and how it's being used.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i'm sure bare stock no add. weight and no towing and eco driving you can average 22-23mpg lifetime on the '21 250 super duty my 350 shows 23mpg when highway driving

·
Registered
776 Posts
i'm sure bare stock no add. weight and no towing and eco driving you can average 22-23mpg lifetime on the '21 250 super duty my 350 shows 23mpg when highway driving
Yes, I understand that....driving on flat ground at constant speeds. I can see 22 on my 2018 for long stretches of flat I-90. But, a regeneration and some stopping and I'm at 18-18.5 on a tank of fuel with long drives.

I am saying...driving in normal life. City, highway, etc...what does it yield? I am guessing based on Fuelly data....15.5-16.5 average.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I reset the trip meter when I go somewhere and I'm now consistently getting 22-24 mpg showing when I return home. I'm following the manual and not towing anything until I reach the 1k mile mark, I'm sure it'll go down with the tractor behind me.

I live in N. Florida so I don't have any real hills to speak of, mostly flat or gently rolling. I live rural so most trips consist of rural roads in the 45-55 mph range, then 60-65 on the highway, and whatever city driving is necessary. I've been accelerating in a way that I work through the gears as quickly as possible (again, per the manual), and vary my speed up at times just to feel the turbo kick in. In a nutshell, I'm breaking the engine in per Ford's recommendation. It started out showing 18 mpg average and has worked up to 22-24, average for my trips. I've had snapshots as low as 16 and as high as 27.

The truck is stock. I haven't tried Eco mode, or 4wd yet. I haven't gone through the first full tank yet, like I said, I'm only at ~500 miles.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Flat ground and below 65-70 is the sweet spot for my truck.
Regarding delete....it impacted my overall MPG's less than .5 mpg. Put 36K miles on before delete and 60K after and tracked every tank and mileage. The chart of 6 years of ownership didn't show a meaningful increase in MPGs. Deletes won't add significantly over the life of the truck with fuel performance...not based on any real time tested data.

·
Registered
101 Posts
These are some great numbers and even better with the 3,31 gears. I am debating on coming back to a super duty for my next truck and following along for mileage and details now that the 10 speed is mated up with the 6.7l

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would guess your best bet for real world mileage is FUELLY.com. I can see some great numbers on my 2018 model as well. But, what are the MPG's over the long haul?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'd take that any day! Where are you driving?
Are those at 70mph highway speeds? Eco mode?
Have you towed with it yet?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts