Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've been lurking for a while and this site has helped me with several issues. I have one which I wasn't able to find through a search.
For the past 2 days I've smelled diesel while driving but I never saw a leak until yesterday when I got home. It was coming from the passenger side. I removed the shroud and found diesel coating the spot where the engine and transmission meet and near the valve cover. I waited for it to cool down then sprayed the whole area with brake cleaner.
This morning I went for a short drive since it didn't leak while idling in the driveway. When I parked it I was finally able to see where it was leaking. From what I can see it's leaking at the weld on the EGR cooler. I've attached pictures.
Can anyone tell me what would cause this and how to fix it? I'm guessing I need to replace the cooler but from my search I only found coolant leaks and not diesel so I'm afraid there may be something else going on.
I have a 2004 E350 superduty 6.0

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what the inside looks like from the rear. It looks dry inside so I'm not sure how diesel was leaking from there.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,870 Posts
If you have diesel in the EGR cooler, then an injector would have to be dumping fuel and you would have a lot of white/gray exhaust smoke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have diesel in the EGR cooler, then an injector would have to be dumping fuel and you would have a lot of white/gray exhaust smoke.
That's the thing, I don't have any smoke at all. It runs well and I haven't noticed a loss of power.
Occasionally, usually in the winter, I will get a puff of smoke on startup but that's only if I haven't run it in over a week or more. I've been running it regularly this week and the temperature has been at 90+.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'm closer now. I removed the exhaust from the turbo so I could get a better view. I turned the key to the power and saw a really fine mist spraying from the area where the fuel filter is. It was spraying right onto the EGR.

Attachments

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,870 Posts
That makes more sense!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
probably need a crush washer also if it is one of the fuel lines going to the filter

glad u found this because if your EGR cooler was leaking coolant I was afraid I would see this if i walked outside

Haha, I was thinking there was some catastrophic failure after I saw what the EGR was bolted onto. I even checked my coolant for diesel.

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
O'rings on the fuel line face seal and where it connects to the filter housing -- should be an easy fix, unless the housing is cracked / threads stripped

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O'rings on the fuel line face seal and where it connects to the filter housing -- should be an easy fix, unless the housing is cracked / threads stripped
I'm going to replace those plus the fuel line that goes from the filter housing to the block. I didn't like how much it was flexing when I was trying to loosen the nut. I'd rather do it now while everything is apart. It appears someone has taken it apart before because that fuel line wasn't even bolted down at the support behind the alternator.
Worst case is I'll have a spare and be out $70.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you definitely want a back up wrench on the fitting below the fuel line nut to avoid trashing the fuel line
I had a 17mm on the fitting which is threaded to the filter housing and an 18mm on the nut for the fuel line. It was still flexing the fuel line. It's like it was stuck together. I was able to remove the threaded fitting from the housing a lot easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts