Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not having a good day.

When I came out of the restaurant after lunch I noticed there was a big puddle of coolant on the ground under my truck. I tried to find where it was coming from but couldn't tell. The majority of it was dripping off the crankshaft pulley. I added some distilled water and headed home.

On the way home I had a blowout on my trailer. That makes a total of 7 in the last three weeks. Got another tire on it and drove home.

I made it home and my ECT never got over 200* pulling a 11k lb trailer. After I got home I resumed looking for the leak and eveything was dry and no longer leaking. I have been smelling a strong diesel odor in the cab for the past few weeks but could never find a leak. I pulled my degas cap (which seemed really difficult to turn even without pressure on it). After pulling the cap off I noticed a diesel smell. I stick my finger in the bottle and it smells like diesel. It has a diesel colored liquid floating on top. I extracted some out and put in a clear bottle and it has now separated with the same yellow/brown liquid floating on top.

What to do?

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upon further examination, the liquid in the coolant looks darker than I originally thought. I'm assuming it's oil and not diesel....:dunno:

Headgaskets?:doh:

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
if it's oil, oil cooler

if it's fuel, cylinder head

there is no mistaking diesel smell though, regardless of the color when mixed with coolant

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is my best option? Getting rid of it? It smells just like diesel. And I just put a brand new oil cooler in it when I did my EGR delete about a month ago.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
how many miles?

If it was me I'd be looking for a set of good heads, getting them worked over and toss them on.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
169k miles. Where would I find a set of heads? Salvage yard?

How much should I expect to pay for a set?

Also, what harm could come from me continuing to drive it without the trailer as long as I keep an eye on ECT's?

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really need to know about drivng it tomorrow.......

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Do NOT drive it. It will simply make matters worse. Your first order of business is to determine if it is oil or fuel and proceed from there. Do not drive it until it is fixed.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
X2 on not driving it. What does the oil look like on the dipstick?

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I won't drive it.

The dipstick looks normal. No signs of coolant in the oil and it doesn't smell like it has coolant in it. The degas bottle definatlely has diesel in it though.

I'm not sure what it will cost to replace the heads, but I do know that the studs and gaskets alone are more than I can spend on it right now. The wife and I talked about it and as weird as it may sound, I think financially we would be better off trading it in. I still owe $18k on it. I will have a couple other large items paid off in a month or two and could make payments on something newer easier than I can come up with the money to drop in this truck. Not to mention I have some really big jobs starting in a couple days that I can't afford to delay. We talked about getting a newer 6.4 and also buying a new 6.7. With me putting 30k+ per year on my truck I think I would be better off going with the route that gives me the longest warranty duration such as a new 6.7 with an extended warranty added on to it. Maybe I could get it paid off before the warranty expires.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
diesel floats on water so naturally it will find the highest point in the system, the degas bottle

it's also pretty harmful to all the rubber hoses and intake o-ring so you don't want it circulating through the system. I wouldn't drive it

unfortunately I can't advise you on what you'd pay for a set of heads, I don't have much experience with used parts

I will say this, take it as you may, skip the 6.4

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will say this, take it as you may, skip the 6.4
I've read quite a bit of this on here which is why I am seriously considering going directly to the 6.7.

I just want something that I'm not going to have to keep throwing money at. Hence the desire for the extended warranty. A $100 deductible is a lot easier to come up with than $1,000-2,000 for a do-it-yourself repair.

Thanks for your replies. I'll weigh my options and keep you posted on the outcome.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
6.7 :thumb:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
well umm an injector sleeve would make it do that.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts

·
Diesel is Power!!!
194 Posts
I my have this also going on in my truck. It's just a small amount that hangs out inside the degas bottle. It don't see much and after months of driving it it's still the same amount. I have done a coolant flush with Simple Green and still the same is there. I was thinking injector sleeve and I know they are steel sleeves that shouldn't become a problem. But could it? :dunno:

·
Registered
850 Posts
I my have this also going on in my truck. It's just a small amount that hangs out inside the degas bottle. It don't see much and after months of driving it it's still the same amount. I have done a coolant flush with Simple Green and still the same is there. I was thinking injector sleeve and I know they are steel sleeves that shouldn't become a problem. But could it? :dunno:
I had oil in my coolant and I flushed with distillled water and soap. I still had oil smag in my degas bottle. So I replaced rad hoses and degass bottle and almost all of it's gone. I would think the stuff stuck on the block will be nearly impossible to completley rid of.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts