Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what do you guys think about running offroad diesel in our 6.0Ls.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds great.....BUT, they usually put a dye in it to identify it as "off-road" fuel...it's meant to be used in tractors, back-hoes, etc. It is cheaper cause there is isn't a "road/highway" tax. If you get caught using it on the highway, you can expect to pay a pretty big fine and who knows what else......my advice: leave it for the tractors, bulldozers and backhoes....it ain't worth it.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Its great, just dont get caught because the fine is big enough that you will probably never do it again!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well doesn't all of this have the sulfur we need in our vehicles? I know its highly illegal, but do yu think a cp when he pulls you over is gunna check your fuel?

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
well doesn't all of this have the sulfur we need in our vehicles? I know its highly illegal, but do yu think a cp when he pulls you over is gunna check your fuel?
Yes, It happens more then you think!

·
Registered
297 Posts
one of our mechanics built a filter system that filters out the red dye...but i still don't use it bc i have seen the sh!t that grows in our fuel tanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
if you were to use it, doesnt the red dye flush out after a few tanks of good diesel?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes the cp will check. They have strips that they dip into your tank. Some now have a tester that they just hold to the exhaust that tells. The fine is a few thousand dollars. I have friends that have been caught here in Ne. It is not worth it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I had a buddy in the oildfield that had a transfer tank tied into the fuel system that he kept. Off road fuel in and could switch from one to the other and kept his trucks fuel tank full of reg diesel. Great idea but not woth the potential fine. Here I think it is 10grand so it would take a lot of fuel to justify that and then if you get caught the hassle after them trying to chk u every time I bet

·
Registered
933 Posts
depends on your area, in Mass, the odds of getting stuck in pick up are slim to none, they usually go after the big rigs, i also keep a bottle of marvel mystery (pretty much ATF) oil in the truck which says specifically on it "for use in ULSD vehicles",

i run LSD in both, if im out and about ill get regular diesel, but if im at home and going somewhere sometimes ill put in O/R but the farm plate on the IDI gives me a lot more room to play with

·
Registered
589 Posts
I just happen to no some people who run it all the time. There are no problems with it with injectors or fuel pumps or anything. As far as filters it would only take bout a tank to 2 to flush them out seen it first hand. I know the truck runs better on it and is quieter but think that was because of the sulfur it had in it and now doesnt because of all this low sulfur bull ****. The thing you do got to watch is the **** you'll pick up in your filters for running it. Gotta change em more often.

·
Registered
90 Posts
dyed off road fuel

DOT are the ones who do the usual check and the fine is usually around thousand dollars. dye traces still around after serveral tank refills as I understand it (info from DOT officer) and adding automatic transmission fluid to diesel has same dye marking effects

·
Registered
90 Posts
That dye seem to stay forever in the tank and will show up if the DOT chemical ( not visual) tests a sample. Same if you dump a can of ATF in your fuel (and how are you going to explain you only was using ATF and not off road fuel)

·
Registered
589 Posts
how are they going to prove you were running off road then if atf has same dye marking effects. If thats the case then it should be illegal to put atf in your tank cause I do every tank cause its cheap and lubricates well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts