Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has a shop, and a bunch of E 350 buses,1999-2002. One came in the other day,with a fuel leak complaint. couldnt find anything on the motor leaking. after checking everything, found fuel in the coolant bottle. Should I assume this is from acracked head? Of course it has been overheated in the past. drivers dont stop until they get where they are going.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Could be injector cups.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had that problem two months ago. Injector cup cracked. I replaced all mine while I was in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in this situation now. Found diesel overflowing coolant degas tank, running over battery, etc. Dealer says #8 injector cup defective ($1,100) and suggests replacing remaining o-rings ($600). I'm new to diesels, or at least to diesel problems, as I've owned my F-350 / 7.3 PSD for 5 yrs / 53K miles with no problems. I perform the oil/fuel/air filter changes, and am comfortable with generic accessories, but the "diesel" part, injection, HPOP, etc. remains somewhat intimidating.

Question - Does the injector "cup" seal off the water jacket in the head? Otherwise, I'm not understanding how the fuel is getting from the injector to the coolant. Not picking up any diesel scent from the lube oil. Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Im not sure how it happens. My father owns a car garage, I do ll the maintenance I can. And it still happen. I replaced all cups and O rings. I actually pu different heads on cause I bought my truck with a blown motor. So its worth to get the head machined and pressure checked. It ended up costing me $2500 for parts and labor. Dealership is probaly twice that. My motor only had 60,000 miles when it happened to mine. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I also put sulfur additive or cetane booster every time I fill up. I heard the the low sulfur fuel is not helping the cups. Who knows

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for that. I've heard other comments that the new ultra low sulphur fuels may be causing problems. Any recommendations on a fuel additive? Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Diesel kleen . I think . They sell it at advance auto parts. It helps my mileage a little too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts