Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1999 F-250 7.3 with 140,000 Miles, that when is warmed up and i am slowing down usually right at about 35 MPH it shifts, the RPMs drop, the engine doesn't catch its self and it dies. When it happens i put it in neutral and restart it with no problems. The only way i can seam to stop it from happening is if i put my foot on the pedal just a little bit while i am breaking.

It also seams to run/idle a little rough. It uses oil, and it is not leaking on the ground. When i start it up after not driving for a day it loaps until i put my foot on the pedal a little bit while it also smokes white out the tailpipe, which i assume is where my oil is going. Once i get it on the road and accelerate, it stops smoking. sometimes when i stop and put it in park it kind of sounds like its missing and some puffs of white smoke come out. I have been at these issues for a while now and i cannot find a solution. If anyone has any ideas please comment.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You need too hook up a monitoring device and check your IPR values along with your ICP... If those check out I would start looking at the injectors such as making sure the injector o rings are good, buzz test, whole nine yards of diagnosing your fuel system.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
also pop open your fuel bowl and see if there is oil in your fuel filter because that's a big indicator of failed o rings as well as possibly a faulty injector.. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Before you go and spend money on anything, do a quick check for base engine damage. With the trans in park and the ignition off, jumper the start solenoid on the passenger fender and see how it sounds cranking over. If you aren't comfortable jumpering the start solenoid, you can remove the IDM relay and use the key. It should crank evenly with no "flare-ups." If cranking isn't even, a compression test is warranted. It should sound more like the one in the first video, not like the one in the second. The trucks in the videos are both 6 liters, but the same principle applies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts