Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On one of the threads on this site a guy posted that he replaced 3 fuel pumps before he removed the bb mod and has not had any problems since. This can`t be the norm, too many of us have it. Does`nt the fuel pump supply the pressure found at the FPR? It`s set at 40 psi at the factory. Moves to 50 to 70 w/bb mod. Why would that destroy his FP so often?

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,885 Posts
On one of the threads on this site a guy posted that he replaced 3 fuel pumps before he removed the bb mod and has not had any problems since. This can`t be the norm, too many of us have it. Does`nt the fuel pump supply the pressure found at the FPR? It`s set at 40 psi at the factory. Moves to 50 to 70 w/bb mod. Why would that destroy his FP so often?
What is a bb mod?

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
the BB mod is just shimming the FPR with a BB to up the fuel pressure a little

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, what Farmboy 444 said.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Is the BB mod proven to be safe?

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
i've had mine shimmed for a while now, no problems. is it proven? not sure. anyone else know?

·
Registered
511 Posts
The BB mod has been around for years. There is also a Cali kit you can buy from Ford and it will raise fuel pressure. Or use an allen head bolt and slowly grind the end off till you reach the desired fuel pressure.

If the BB or whatever he was using was making the pressure high it would strain the pump and cause failure. If it was checked and adjusted I don't see why the pump would fail.

·
Registered
92 Posts
the thing i like the most, is that people say that it can brun your motor up by doing the shim.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
mines got the bb mod. didnt notice a difrent in power but its never hurt any thing. :dunno:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Personally, and this is just me, I believe it is safe if the pressure is checked after the mod just to be sure it hasn`t spiked too high for one reason or another. I doubt that would happen with a bb but might w/an allen bolt etc. if it`s not ground down enough. Any pressure from 30psi to 70psi I hear would be safe. My owners guide says it is set at the factory to maintain 40psi. A bb will lift it to around 55psi

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,885 Posts
But doesn't a programmer/chip raise the fuel pressure, or just the oil pressure?

·
Registered
511 Posts
But doesn't a programmer/chip raise the fuel pressure, or just the oil pressure?
It doesn't do anything to fuel but can lower, maintain or raise the HPO.

·
Too cool for school
9,886 Posts
will having the higher fuel pressure with the bb mod, get more fuel through the injectors, and giving more black smoke than normal with the stock injectors like in my 95?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
will having the higher fuel pressure with the bb mod, get more fuel through the injectors, and giving more black smoke than normal with the stock injectors like in my 95?
With my 97 I did not get any smoke. I did get little better idle and a little quicker throttle response which is what the mod is supposed to do. Didn`t notice any MPG change. Hope this helps if you are planning on doing the mod. After doing it put a gauge on the FPR shraeder valve if it spikes higher than 70 remove the bb but i don`t think it will go higher than say 55 or so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts