Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Few months ago I added the western plow relay to my truck. Only I accidentally replaced the AIH relay with it. Yes, yes I know.... picked up trailer, 20 min later truck cranked no start and got smoke from a wire on the actual glow plug relay.

Anyone got good info on how to proceed?

Pic shows the wire that gets so hot it melted a plastic cover on it. I figured order a new glow plug relay but the wire that gets super hot has some sort of butt connector or maybe fuseable link.

I removed the western plow and put back the aih relay I removed and it started then I parked to check trailer and load and crank no start with wire on big post of oem glow plug relay getting super hot again.

Yes I know I did something dumb and I apologize. What would you check for besides just a new gpr?

Thanks.

Ps the picture shows the plow relay in place of the AIH relay but I have swapped the old relay back in.

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
well, it sounds like some of the wiring was heavily stressed, I'd want to replace the fried wires and their connectors pins. afaik, you can get the pins for all the connectors, its just kinda complicated to figure out just which pins you need and be sure to use the correct gauge wire, and secure it alongside the harness to bypass the fried wires inside.. Or, you could just get a harness of a JY truck, and swap the whole thing. I dunno.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know if they sell a harness for the glow plug system outside the uvch or is it part of the main harness?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know if the harness that the gpr wires feed into also runs the icp/ipr/pcm stuff? Wondering once I replace the relays I probably burnt up what else to check for.

No codes, icp and ipr are good cranking but if the truck sits overnight it will run just lopes pretty good. No unusual smoke.

Would checking the new oem uvch be good? Wondering if I may have burnt one of them
Up when I messed up the gpr?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all the glow plug wiring in that harness is part of the main engine harness (all wrapped in one ), is it possible to run new wires outside of the loom yeah ,be a lot of work
Thanks for the info. So from the experiences guys information what would cause the one post/wire in the picture to get so hot it smokes/melts the plastic? Also looks like I'll be cutting into that part of the harness to see if it melted other wires.

if I do the AIH delete with the wire to prevent soft codes does it kind of rule out the AIH relay I accidently replaced with a glow plug relay? Not much info on AIH wiring so wanted to see how it could have caused the gpr to roast only one wire.

·
Administrator
9,390 Posts
Thanks for the info. So from the experiences guys information what would cause the one post/wire in the picture to get so hot it smokes/melts the plastic? Also looks like I'll be cutting into that part of the harness to see if it melted other wires.

if I do the AIH delete with the wire to prevent soft codes does it kind of rule out the AIH relay I accidently replaced with a glow plug relay? Not much info on AIH wiring so wanted to see how it could have caused the gpr to roast only one wire.
the big supply wire going to the glow plug relay is handling a lot of load ,i see a lot of truck that come in shop with those wires melted and such , but still operating normal , they get extremely hot even when working properly , without running my own diag on this truck , just a couple things i've seen , glow plugs may be working but are working at a higher resistance than they should be , high resistance is high heat , the wire end that melted also is causing higher resistance ,so it smokes from that heat ,probably has nothing to do with intake heater which doesn't come on unless real cold anyway

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the big supply wire going to the glow plug relay is handling a lot of load ,i see a lot of truck that come in shop with those wires melted and such , but still operating normal , they get extremely hot even when working properly , without running my own diag on this truck , just a couple things i've seen , glow plugs may be working but are working at a higher resistance than they should be , high resistance is high heat , the wire end that melted also is causing higher resistance ,so it smokes from that heat ,probably has nothing to do with intake heater which doesn't come on unless real cold anyway

Ok, in 2016 I replaced both sides : glow plugs, UVCH, valve cover harnesses with oem motorcraft, then 3 months ago I swapped my western plow relay in place of the aih relay on accident. now my gpr is smoking so do you feel this is a coincidence for my crank no start? I was planning on cutting/following then replacing the hot wire as far as I could in the main harness then replacing the GPR and trying again. I have a cps but I see rpms, wts light and have smoke coming out exchaust and rpms are jumping up when cranking.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PS. Does anyone have a cheat sheet or what gauge fuseable links go to what wires on the glow plug relay? I found some pictures but they are on those sites that make you pay for access. Local ford dealer didn't have them either.

Also to everyone who posted up before and today Merry Christmas. Hope you all get to enjoy the holidays.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Not fer nuttin', but What the heck is that?

I don't recognize either the position or the connections... Your "GPR" has a sheetmetal buss bar connecting large supplies with a sm wire on it (what's That doing?) who's attachment to it is getting overheated. I think of all GPRs as having 2 sm electromagnetic coil connections and 2 lg "switched" connections. I don't see what all that other stuff, including your problem connection, is doing. Could it be the sheetmetal that's heating up as opposed to the post & nut?

Next, their positions seem to be Reversed! I know you're calling it your GPR, is that just because it's located in the Back? Because it sure looks more like the AIH (which should be in Front) than your GPR (despite it's location in your pic, that Front one sure looks more like a GPR to me)...

Here's how I expect those two relays to be orientated and the connections made to them

Attachments

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not fer nuttin', but What the heck is that?

I don't recognize either the position or the connections... Your "GPR" has a sheetmetal buss bar connecting large supplies with a sm wire on it (what's That doing?) who's attachment to it is getting overheated. I think of all GPRs as having 2 sm electromagnetic coil connections and 2 lg "switched" connections. I don't see what all that other stuff, including your problem connection, is doing. Could it be the sheetmetal that's heating up as opposed to the post & nut?

Next, their positions seem to be Reversed! I know you're calling it your GPR, is that just because it's located in the Back? Because it sure looks more like the AIH (which should be in Front) than your GPR (despite it's location in your pic, that Front one sure looks more like a GPR to me)...

Here's how I expect those two relays to be orientated and the connections made to them

Hope this explains a little?

I have never actually touched the glow plug relay since ownership. A few months back I accidentally put the western plow relay in place of the AIH Relay (The western plow is an upgrade option for the oem GPR and easier to mount then the stancor replacement that has different brackets). The pic I uploaded is what it looked like when I realized what had happened. I re installed the original AIH Relay since the picture. But my issue is the glow plug relay. The blue wire that comes off the center of the shunt (that little metal piece) the wire going to the center post of the shunt got so hot it started melting the little plastic cover (possibly a fusible link). Im trying to find what each wire does so I know how to test the old and see if the new one will work etc.

Now the truck cranks but no start:

I have a WTS light, the rpms move up during cranking and during cranking my ipr% was 14.8 and ICP PSI was 641. The truck will start if it sits most of the day but has a bit of a lope now. So I was going to replace the glow plug relay in the back with a new one since I never replaced it in the beginning.

*from my research my truck is a hybrid glow plug system. Its a CA truck with federal emisiisons and no glow plug control relay module like normal ca trucks. Read is was only on 1999s and the shunt allows the pcm to get reading off each bank for glow plug diagnosis. But still allows a regulary relay to be used vs the control module on normal ca trucks. Because on the vin, engine, and hood sticker its a federal truck lol nice and clear as mud eh?

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
*from my research my truck is a hybrid glow plug system. Its a CA truck with federal emisiisons and no glow plug control relay module like normal ca trucks. Read is was only on 1999s and the shunt allows the pcm to get reading off each bank for glow plug diagnosis. But still allows a regulary relay to be used vs the control module on normal ca trucks. Because on the vin, engine, and hood sticker its a federal truck lol nice and clear as mud eh?
That actually explains it all ;)

I understand now about you're "special" GPR and why it looks unfamiliar.

So first, is it suddenly cold enough to have started causing you such a serious problem? I mean, glow plugs shouldn't really be necessary for starting unless Really Cold (single digits).

What if you disconnect that sm wire, does that stop the overheating (is that the problem connection?)

What if you plugged-in for a couple of hours first, would it start easily? (is this really cold related?)

What if you used the Western relay you already have there in it's proper place? (you don't need a functioning AIH ever). Would it start then?

You have no codes showing IDM/Injector troubles? I'm having a hard time thinking of something related that could prevent you from starting if the CPS, ICP & IPR are working as they should...

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
PS. Does anyone have a cheat sheet or what gauge fuseable links go to what wires on the glow plug relay? I found some pictures but they are on those sites that make you pay for access. Local ford dealer didn't have them either.

Also to everyone who posted up before and today Merry Christmas. Hope you all get to enjoy the holidays.
Is this what you want? I have an alldatadiy accout for the 02 so I can see if they have what you want. The diagram is for the 02 so I'm not sure if its the same but it may help.

Attachments

Reactions: JustinOOO9

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That actually explains it all ;)

I understand now about you're "special" GPR and why it looks unfamiliar.

So first, is it suddenly cold enough to have started causing you such a serious problem? I mean, glow plugs shouldn't really be necessary for starting unless Really Cold (single digits). been in the 20s for few months now, truck showed zero signs of hard start in cold weather and truck had been driven to pick up a trailer maybe 2 hr before the smoking wire.

What if you disconnect that sm wire, does that stop the overheating (is that the problem connection?)I could try that, I didn't just want to start unplugging/removing stuff without consulting the org first lol.

What if you plugged-in for a couple of hours first, would it start easily? (is this really cold related?) I don't think its cold related but I do not understand the truck as well as id like. My edge insight shows the icp and IPR within needed readins for a start and that's the confusing part. Plus the wts light comes on, and rpms jump up during cranking.

What if you used the Western relay you already have there in it's proper place? (you don't need a functioning AIH ever). Would it start then? Can I just disconnect the aih relay and cover the wire ends with electrical tape? I ordere an AIH delte plug and the wire to prevent ses code to try and reduce stuff under the hood

You have no codes showing IDM/Injector troubles? I'm having a hard time thinking of something related that could prevent you from starting if the CPS, ICP & IPR are working as they should...
Only code I had was the icp code since I unplugged the icp during the rough idle and nothing changed so I plugged it back in. Also had a P0603 KAM code (seems to pop up when I was changing tunes with hydra and stuff (hydra has been unplugged for months too). and

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is this what you want? I have an alldatadiy accout for the 02 so I can see if they have what you want. The diagram is for the 02 so I'm not sure if its the same but it may help.
I have been printing wiring diagrams but not sure how to read the real technical ones. I think just something showing me what the extra three wires on the GPR shunt do, and what size/gauge the fusible links are so I can replace them for starters.

I will print the one you posted and show my Dad/buddy who has much more diagram reading experience then me.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
You can absolutely just disconnect the AIH wires, only 2 have power in them just determine which sm & lg wire does once they're disconnected. I would do a bit more than just electrical tape in the lg one, maybe push it into a short piece of rubber hose and tape that on.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds good. When the AIS delete stuff gets here i'll head over and try things you suggested and thanks to you and Cletus too. I have a stack of print outs of different forum post regarding issues similar to mine and hopefully can get some results and i'll post up. probably gonna be 3-5+ days for one part but ill try this week and keep the thread updated in case anyone has a similar issue.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have been printing wiring diagrams but not sure how to read the real technical ones. I think just something showing me what the extra three wires on the GPR shunt do, and what size/gauge the fusible links are so I can replace them for starters.

I will print the one you posted and show my Dad/buddy who has much more diagram reading experience then me.
I didn't read this but it may help with understanding them.

Attachments

Reactions: JustinOOO9

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
the rest of them

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts