Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member to this sight and am trying to get a honest opinion on the F250 Lariat with 6.0 Diesel. My truck is a 2005 bought it new and have put on 153,000 miles, I do not work the truck hard at all mostly used for running estimates etc. I have spent approx. $4800.00 in repairs in the last 8 months. I am thinking about selling it and going back to the 2500 HD since I really do not need a diesel, I thought I would buy a diesel because I put on alot of miles, however now I believe I made a mistake? Could anyone tell me is this a good motor or will the problems more than likely continue. Also this is the first diesel I ever owned, if I am not hauling daily is it a mistake to buy diesel? I would really appreciate some honest input to help me with my decission. I love the truck when it is not at the dealers getting repaired.
Thanks Scott

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went from a 7.3 to a 6.0 and it was a mistake. my 6.0 was a piece of shiz. they way I read it is they are almost all junk. I recently bought a new dodge 6.7 and I love it. Ford has scorned me and lost me as a customer.

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
If you have a 6.0 and you drive it easy then thats your problem. That motor wants to be abused like a red headed step child. Beat the crap outta her and you'll be okay.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If you don't really need a truck why not get something like a TDI for the milleage.

·
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6
2,261 Posts
my 6.0 has been great! but there are the bad ones, did you check an OASIS report for your truck?

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
I went from a 7.3 to a 6.0 and it was a mistake. my 6.0 was a piece of shiz. they way I read it is they are almost all junk. I recently bought a new dodge 6.7 and I love it. Ford has scorned me and lost me as a customer.
Yet you are posting on a Ford based forum...:confused: I've had 2 7.3's and and 2 6.0's and beat the CHIT out of all four and I loved every one of them especially the 6.0's extra power and torque..:thumb:

·
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6
2,261 Posts
:hehe::hehe::hehe: (no explanation needed)

·
Premium Member
24,834 Posts
I have had 2 6.0 and I love em... Lots of power and minimal problems, and the ones I have had have been covered under warranty. I haul traliers on a semi daily basis up to 12k

·
Registered
9 Posts
up until a week ago i owned a 2004 harley 6.0 I loved it as a truck, but it was in the shop more than twice a month. In the mean time I had to borrow a buddys dodge to pull my camper. the dodge could easily outpull the ford. But I must say the ford had a nicer ride. Ford could not fix the problems I was having. they said the coolant that was all over the side of my truck and camper was normal. thats why I jumped ship. I had a 7.3 before that and that was a good truck.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If you don't like it dump it . I think after 4 yrs 153,000 miles $4,800 your doing ok . What was the repairs for ?

W

·
0 Posts
had a 2005 6.0L... long story short... in court for 2 years... replaced it with my 2000 7.3

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I love mine. Yes it has been n the shop twice for the EGR cooler but it was under warranty.

It pulls me 5er with ease, rides nice for a 3/4 ton crew cab, get's great mileage, it looks awesome, and I just feel great driving it.

I agree with Mike, you bought it new and had no problems until 153k?! I don't think that is a problem... sounds like a pretty damn good truck to me!:icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
up until a week ago i owned a 2004 harley 6.0 I loved it as a truck, but it was in the shop more than twice a month. In the mean time I had to borrow a buddys dodge to pull my camper. the dodge could easily outpull the ford. But I must say the ford had a nicer ride. Ford could not fix the problems I was having. they said the coolant that was all over the side of my truck and camper was normal. thats why I jumped ship. I had a 7.3 before that and that was a good truck.
the dodge could easily out pull the ford? i think you must have had some other issues, Ford has been #1 in towing between all three trucks for a long time now.
i love my 6.0L, yes i've had a blown HG and some EGR cooler issues, but these are all things i did research on and knew i had to deal with when i got the truck. i wouldn't trade it for anything... except maybe the new 6.7L in 2011 :woot:

·
Registered
689 Posts
If I think after 4 yrs 153,000 miles $4,800 your doing ok .
$1,200/yr for repair costs would hurt me. Mine has been perfect except for the EGR and oil coolers at 25k. I love the way it drives, looks, and tows.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
My 6.0 has been a great truck to me, and I do beat the crap out of it..lol btw it's got 116,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

There are some mechanics on this forum that would have fixed the problem in ONE VISIT......maybe the problem was dealer related????

·
Registered
20 Posts
i would have to agree with some people here and say that $4800 on 153k is good. but if you are running estimates a lot, that probably means you are having a lot of idle time. when the 6.0s idle for a long time, it causes problem. you need to drive em. the longer they idle, the harder you need to drive em to clean all the soot that accumulate. we have a bunch of these trucks at work and the mechanics are always *****ing that we let em run all day.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts