Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I can't seem to find any info via the search function about changing the speed sensor on the dif in a 1999 F250 7.3L. I had the speedo, trans OD light and the ABS malfunctioning this week, all happened at once so I put the code reader on it and it came up with a faulty speed sensor. I was going to change it but didn't have the time and took it to the dealership. I thought it would be a simple job but they charged me nearly $300, with only $28 being for the part and no quote, they just checked it and repaired with a $300 bill!

Does anyone know what the typical amount of time is for changing a speed sensor? It seems to me like it should be a 0.5 to 1 hour job, not 3 hours. Am I wrong or did I get ripped?

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
If I remember correctly, it should take about 10 minutes from the parking lot into the shop an out again. One capscrew and one wire connector. It sits on top of the diff housing and picks up the ring on the crown gear. I guess they did all the tests first, but still ripped you off....IMO.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Give us a breakdown of what the invoice says. Seems excessive to me but I guess it depends on how the conversation went when you dropped it off. Did you tell them to fix it of dia. it? Also if you had the time to drop it off and get a ride back up there you had the time to slide under it to do them 10 minute fix. I fix most of my junk myself. JJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts