Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am doing studs on my 05, the usual ARP's OEM gaskets, heads machined and checked for cracks.
I am almost done and about to put the cab on when I read this http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...lp-6-0-problem-after-head-stud-install-3.html
Basically saying that you have to position the crank dowel pin to the 6 o'clock position or you will bend a valve in cylinder 5 or 8
I have read a few threads of people doing studs and never saw anything about it until then, does everyone position the crank correctly but just not mention it? Or does it not bend valves as often as they make it sound

I tried to see where the crank was but couldnt find a mark on the pulley
I guess the problem is that the lifters are over pumped and extend the valves into the piston when tightened down, but what would cause them to be so high? also my truck has been sitting for about a month, so would that be enough time for them to compress back down? I took some pics of the rockers. apparently #5 is the one that most commonly bends valves.
The closest rocker is pressing a valve down but it doesnt seem like much, in comparison to the other one that isnt opening at all.
I am suppose to be putting the cab back on tomorrow but I would be beyond pissed if i have to take everything back off to do it again.
Any help would greatly appreciated

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks, ill make sure I can turn it over by hand first, also are the pushrods something that can be changed with the cab on and without pulling the head studs? I have to put the cab on because it is at my uncles warehouse and they need the room back, but my injectors won't be here until mid next week so the head wont fully be back together until then, I could change them out while I wait for injectors to get here if it is possible

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will call the shop tomorrow but i used the machine shop that a local diesel shop takes their 6.0 heads to, they should know the 6.0 head well, I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier but I took pics when I dissembled everything
my understanding is that it usually bends in the #5 cylinder which should be the drivers side back cylinder and it appears to be far enough down to not cause any issues :woot:

1 - 3 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.