Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few issues hot starting, truck is currently bone stock no programming right now. 2004 6.0, icp is on the valve cover.

Rather than buying all the random the pieces in the system, I know the test involves hooking up shop air and a gauge to the hpop. Any how to stuff on this or any instruction?

The HPOP was replaced by the previous owner. So I'm hissing it could be the icp, stc fitting, dummy plugs... Or. But that's just from the light amount of research I've done.

Any help would be epic. Let me know if I'm missing any info that would help.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,292 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ironically, that site is merging with strictly diesel.... That thread isn't there. I'm on my phone so searching isn't as simple. I'm tempted to do fluke test on the icp wires... That would just confirm the codes correct?

·
Premium Member
20,292 Posts
I would verify that the IPR voltage is correct. I'm almost positive that's what commands the ICP

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would verify that the IPR voltage is correct. I'm almost positive that's what commands the ICP
Did I miss something in that guide on where to check the ipr voltage? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
20,292 Posts
Sorry, I may have steered you wrong. You need a way to test the HPOP pressure. The 04's had some bad HPOP's, and that may be the culprit

Page 41: Fuel Management System

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Icp location make difference on the pump being bad, or is that the early 6.0 03-04, or later 04's? Or just the 04 in general? The pump was recently replaced, so I'm hoping its not that. For that test I still need to hook up shop air and an air gauge at the icp's spot?

Or am I going in the wrong direction? Thanks for all the help so far!

·
Premium Member
20,292 Posts
I assume your truck doesnt run? Do you have an AE or equivalent scan tool?

·
Premium Member
20,292 Posts
One thing I didn't see is that you mentioned STC fittings and dummy plugs. I know that you don't have the STC fitting, and I'm trying to get confirmation that you don't have dummy plugs....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I assume your truck doesnt run? Do you have an AE or equivalent scan tool?
Only thing I have is the Diablo at the moment. Thought I was going to have more free time at work today. Doesn't look like it. I can get it scanned most likely tomorrow morning. Today I am mostly just trying to acquire as much information as possible. Still a bit clueless on a lot of the stuff. Sorry about being so lost :doh:

·
Premium Member
20,292 Posts
But the truck runs, just doesn't like hot starts? Diablo is pretty useless as a diag tool :dunno:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But the truck runs, just doesn't like hot starts? Diablo is pretty useless as a diag tool :dunno:
I'll update after I get it it scanned tomorrow. Gotta love 16 hour shifts. :rofl:

Thanks for drowning some time out man!

·
Premium Member
20,292 Posts
I'll update after I get it it scanned tomorrow. Gotta love 16 hour shifts. :rofl:

Thanks for drowning some time out man!
Anytime bud!

Looks like you have a couple other things to look at

If the ICP is in the valve cover, it is the older style HPO pump and will not have STC fitting, but does have stand pipes and dummy plugs

I've been told that the STC fitting WILL fail at some point, and Ford has a newer one piece fitting to replace it. The dummy plug are updated too :thumb:. You need a scanner that will allow to you to see what kind of pressure you have, then do an air test to see what's leaking, or just replaced the STC and dummy plugs :dunno:

I edited that quote bud :thumb:

·
Premium Member
20,292 Posts
they upgraded to the wavy oil rails in 04 and the ICP is in the valve cover, but it's the old style HPOP so no STC like on the 03. It's also interesting to find out that they changed the oil rail design AGAIN in 05. The standpipes have been upgraded to a single unit from the old style 2-piece units in the 03 and 04 engines with an integrated check valve. The dummy plugs appear to be the same between 04 and 05+
Quote from Evil eye

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am in a similar situation but only have p2290. I do have my insight CS and an AE, what icp pressure And or icp voltages should I be seeing? I also get pretty good smoke in low boost with heavy throttle.

Sorry for the hijack, I am currently 100 miles from home.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sorry
I have the updated sct fitting as of a month ago.

·
Premium Member
20,292 Posts
I am in a similar situation but only have p2290. I do have my insight CS and an AE, what icp pressure And or icp voltages should I be seeing? I also get pretty good smoke in low boost with heavy throttle.

Sorry for the hijack, I am currently 100 miles from home.
ICP has to be at 500 psi as a minimum to start the truck. I would think that your low boost problem might be stuck turbo vanes. Take a look at this http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/engine-911/194732-6-0-no-start-hot-p2290-new-icp.html

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a new powermax with 5000 miles on it. Head gaskets were done then too with all updated parts like stand pipes and dummy plugs.

·
Premium Member
20,292 Posts
Monitor your HPO system and see what your ICP is. I have heard that the PM turbo lights a bit harder than the stock one does, could that be the issue for the smoke? Maybe you have a HPOP on it's way out :dunno:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts