Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my years of doing this I have noticed that when 6.0l high pressure pumps start to go bad or fail all together it is hard to nail them down definitively as the root cause! You literally have to deadhead the pump to see if its bad or going bad and as all of you know this is a pain in the butt!!

Some of the issues that come to mind is a long crank then starts and runs sluggish, or starts fine but when driving at around 45mph then smashing gas pedal it feels like your towing a boat it just wont go!! the funny part is it wont even set a low icp code until it just wont start at all. That doesn't help does it!! So this is what I found and im going to share it with you guys!

The big thing to remember is that the high pressure pump separates the high oil system from the low! The I.P.R. is the exhaust for the high pressure oil system. So with this said one only needs to remember that when you air check the high pressure oil system and you close the I.P.R. valve manually with wires or you use I.D.S. or some other means that there should be no audible hissing air heard at all. So lets say you do this and have no air leak what do you do then? YOU REMOVE OIL FILTER CAP!!

EVERY failed or weak high pressure pump I have ever had does this because I have checked every pump that was bad. If they are weak they bubble less and you need to remove oil filter cap to hear it. When they are really bad you literally can feel the oil filter housing vibrating and gurgling.

I am posting a video of this for you to help and don't worry about applying to much shop air to the oil system because I don't think your shop air is over 3k psi LOL!!

IMG_15931_zpseb43c215.mp4 video by jugernaut2 | Photobucket

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Another big thank you Dale. I need to find some time and try this.

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you guys like it! It's a very good test!

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
This thread would have been awesome about a month and a half ago when mine went south! lol

No codes no nothing even after it died on the side of the road! only thing i had to go on was low ICP voltage on my scangauge but even then I thought it was just a bad sensor.

I also noticed mine started to roll a little coal in the final days before it finally failed and my EGT's would spike a lot quicker then normal

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Another THANKS! here. How did you come up with that?

Another vote to Stick.

k

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Simplicity at it's best. Real world tests that work. Thank you!

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is there any special fitting to put in the 03 rail.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Learned something today, thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another THANKS! here. How did you come up with that?

Another vote to Stick.

k
last year I was leaning on the oil filter housing and felt it jumping as I was air testing! me being me I had to know why? so I took it apart and put 2 and 2 together. I new test was created!

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Mine did the no go when floored.

Hooked up my scanner and at wot icp was 600 and ipr was 85%, so I didn't have much doubt lol. (03 truck)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Great info, thanks.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
RIP Mitch ! We miss you
11,966 Posts
Ok guys, I stuck it. :D

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #20