Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my truck about 6 weeks ago. It came with a new (still in shrink wrap) Predator Tuner. the seller told me that he never installed it since once he bought it, he heard it might cause warranty issues and the truck still has miles left to go on the engine warranty. He planned to install it after hitting 100k.

So, there it sits on my workbench, I have debated what to do about it. I have read on this forum that if I install it, it will either blow my heads or break my tranny or shrink my testicles or something else terrible.

I might just sell it - the truck seems to run very nicely without any tuning, but I would love a little more power.

I guess I just wonder how this thing works differently than other tuners - why for instance, the SCT (seems to be the hot one on this forum) wouldn't cause the same problems. Don't they all do more or less the same thing? Unless I am missing something here, they have to increase fuel delivery to make more power, right? So to burn the fuel, they have to do something to force more air in to engine so the fuel will burn.

I guess I can see that if different programming mods are written to the computer, this could make different result from one program to another.

I really have no preference, although the fact that I have this thing just sitting there in its box tempts me.

Can someone help me understand why this thing would cause the above problems, but the others don't?

Is there anyone out there who has first hand knowledge of a Diablo blowing heads or destroying a tranny? :dunno:

This is my first diesel (well, since my family's VW Rabbit way back when) and I love it and already have several thousand excellent miles on it since I bought it. I want it to go lots more.

I have seen the reactions to this product, so immediately before I press the Submit button, I will don the flame suit. :tard:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I ran the predator for a while....still have it actually, I didnt like the shifting seemed to be alot of shift flare.
I dont think it was the predator that caused my head gaskets to go....I think it was lack of gauges and operator error.

If you are going to leave it on either the 40hp tow or the 60hp economy you should be fine to try it out.....If you still have your EGR cooler and no gauges I would take it easy while using the 100hp tune as egt can still get up there.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I think the major difference in the power creation is how it does it. With a custom tune they know to keep the cylinder pressures reasonable to keep from blowing the headgaskets out, while adding horsepower at the same time.

As for the trans tuning, that is the key to these trans holding up to any sort of power or abuse. They are not like older trans where you just put a valvebody and shiftkit in, it is ALL electronic, the clutch pressures and everything can be manipulated via tuning.

It is probably safe to slap it on and try it out for a few miles just to see what the power is like, but I wouldnt run it for any length of time. Get a set of guages and a custom tuned SCT and you'll be set!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
i totally agree with everything above. the main reputation with the diablo predator though is cooked headgasket problems. they are very useful for code reading though.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. It would take some custom tuning to make it work and I don't think it is offered for the diablo. The sct is the only one I know of for sure

·
Registered
227 Posts
:popcorn2:
subscribed - I wondered the same thing(s)...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
This is where the "cusrom tune" aspect comes to play.... And the offroad only use

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Give it a shot

So I decided to use my Predator after talking to Don at Diablosport. I know you guys on this board love the SCT, but looking at what each does, I don't understand the problem, and Don tried to explain.

Bottom line is, sounds like some folks think the Predoter kills transmission. The predator doesn't change anything in the trans, so how can that be?

Also, the thing about blowing heads - apparently (this, of course according to the guy at the company) is the same as what happens from the SCT and Bully's - operator error!

The power coming from the thing is awesome. I can really tell a difference, and they custom tuned a timed high(er) idel mod for me free.

Cool - I will let you know how it goes. Since I talked to them and installed it was about 2 months and 6500 miles. I have slightly better fuel econmy but that might be an illusion. I do a round trip 3x month of 400 miles so I have a good chance to test it.

Biggest problem I see is my foot has gotten heavier. the 100HP tunes is sweet. When I run up one long hill with a full load, I have to let off a bit since the EGT gets up there, but still pulling over 60MPH.

·
Registered
556 Posts
its good that you like it, but as far as the transmission deal..you bring up that the diablo doesnt change anything in the transmission, and that is the problem..the SCT is the only tuner than TUNES the transmission, and thats what makes it such a good tuner for everyone with fords..if you dont tune the transmission with the added HP your looking for trouble..when your going with higher HP tunes you need to tune the motor and the transmission, without both there is a missing link..the sct makes up for the mising link by adding "safe" hp by being able to tune the transmission..

the head gaskeet problem, yes it does happen with every tuner, but if you use your head it shouldnt be a problem..i have been running my SCT for a good 10,000 miles with not one problem other than a little heavier foot:thumb:..

the bottom line is the sct provides SAFER hp

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
I can speak from experience about the Pukator. It all depends on the model that you have. The newer models are supposed to be better than the older ones but the burnning questions remains the same, what does it do for the trans tuning? Does it turn the tranny like the SCT or the Spartan Phalanx? If it doesn't, then you are just sitting waitng for a tranny fairlure, when I can't ainswer than butit will happen. How do I know that? I know that because it happened to me, after running a predator. I also had to replace heads/gaskets after running the predator, prior to running the SCT. Now it makes awesome power, I will give it that, but at what cost? I am sure it is like any tuner, you must use common sense when driving. . I actually still have my Predator in the console of my truck and use it for a code reador. It does an awesome job for that, but for a tuner, I can't say that I would every go back to using it for that purpose. That is just the opinion of this old lady, who drives a slow, old truck. I like my tuner to not only tune my motor but tune my tranny and I want my tunes to be custom written for MY specfic truck and MY personal driving style and needs. I don't want off the shelf tunes. Life I said that is just one old lady's opinion. I hope this helps you decide. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004, 6.0 with 54k on it. A real cherry, mom and pop truck, first owners had it before me. On the recomendation from the Ford dealer, I purchased a "DiabloSport". Did the economy tune and picked up 5mpgs highway at 70mph.... Easy to retune, and return back to factory if needed. Shift points are smooth, engine seems happy.... Ofcourse, I do tend to drive conservatively and belive in proper maintenance.... Also just added, cooling water by pass filter, luber-finer bypass oil and MBPR big pipe after the tune... Knock on wood, so far no "headackes"...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts