Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some veggie oil that was used once to fry a turkey. I put a couple test bottles on my kitchen counter a month ago in the following order

1 – half veggie
2 – half veggie half water shaken like crazy and set on the counter
3 - half veggie half water shaken like crazy then put in a bowel with hot water for about 1.5 hours. Water was changed every 15 minutes or so keeping the oil around 120 deg (verified with a meat thermometer). Then after 1.5 hours set on the counter
4 – small bucket thing with same veggie and one of every plastic part and hose I could find. Pvc sch 40, 80, sprinkler risers, braided hose, some mystery plastic hose barb from home depot (the ONLY thing in the bucket that is floating ? spooky…) and a couple other things

After a few days on the counter most of the water settled out to the bottom. For the past 2 weeks, nothing to the naked eye has changed. I decided to do a hot pan test just to see if the water was really out. ALL 3 FAILED! I did not test the bucket o parts since I did not add water to it and its really there for me to see if the oil will break down the plastic. I have not opened that one yet to see what happened after a month.

So a month of sitting in the house at about 75 to 80 deg round the clock was not enough to dewater my little oil batches. What went wrong? Was there not enough heat for long enough?

·
Registered
424 Posts
What went wrong? Was there not enough heat for long enough?
I heat to 160-170*F in an insulated drum. The de-watering occurs during S-L-O-W cooling. The insulated drum will drop to room temp in 3 days. If it fails the HPT I reheat the entire drum and test again. I pass the test on the first go around 90% of the time.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much do you heat at a time?
What are you using for a heater?
and how long does it take to heat the oil?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
What he said, I get to at least 150F, and slowly cool back down. The Slow cooling causes the separation. I heat 20 gallons at a time (because that's usually what I pick up) in an insulated 25 gallon drum with a water heater element, and then let it cool and settle over night.

·
Registered
424 Posts
How much do you heat at a time?
What are you using for a heater?
and how long does it take to heat the oil?
55 gallons
1200 watt band heater
It depends on the ambient temp that it starts at.
I turn it on in the evening and at dawn it's over 160*F.
I shut off the heater and wait three days.
When finally down to ambient temp I'll do the HPT.
My insulation is R-13 fiberglass covered by aluminum bubble wrap.

·
Registered
149 Posts
the cheapest way that Ive found is get a 55 gallon steel drum, drill a hole in lower portion (side) and insert a electric water heater element. Turn that baby up give it a few hours and your good to go. Total costs $19.50 (got the barrell for free)

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
When you say the test failed, what do you mean? Explain the process of your test and the outcome.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heated the pan to 300 deg then put about 10 ml of oil in the pan. Instantly I heard crackling and popping. There were LOTS and lots of bubbles. Ok I will admit, it did not crackle as much as when I am pan frying egg rolls, but there was definitely a lot of cracking.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I got some veggie oil that was used once to fry a turkey. I put a couple test bottles on my kitchen counter a month ago in the following order

1 – half veggie
2 – half veggie half water shaken like crazy and set on the counter
3 - half veggie half water shaken like crazy then put in a bowel with hot water for about 1.5 hours. Water was changed every 15 minutes or so keeping the oil around 120 deg (verified with a meat thermometer). Then after 1.5 hours set on the counter
4 – small bucket thing with same veggie and one of every plastic part and hose I could find. Pvc sch 40, 80, sprinkler risers, braided hose, some mystery plastic hose barb from home depot (the ONLY thing in the bucket that is floating ? spooky…) and a couple other things

After a few days on the counter most of the water settled out to the bottom. For the past 2 weeks, nothing to the naked eye has changed. I decided to do a hot pan test just to see if the water was really out. ALL 3 FAILED! I did not test the bucket o parts since I did not add water to it and its really there for me to see if the oil will break down the plastic. I have not opened that one yet to see what happened after a month.

So a month of sitting in the house at about 75 to 80 deg round the clock was not enough to dewater my little oil batches. What went wrong? Was there not enough heat for long enough?
Your making 50% water emulsions here...mixing water and shaking. Not a good mock sample. Take those samples and drop a couple of drops in the oil and shake it gently a couple times, not till it looks like a milkshake. you will never find a source of oil that is 50% water, if you do, run away! :crazy:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I like to store my wvo outside in open top drums, is this a bad Idea?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your making 50% water emulsions here...mixing water and shaking. Not a good mock sample. Take those samples and drop a couple of drops in the oil and shake it gently a couple times, not till it looks like a milkshake. you will never find a source of oil that is 50% water, if you do, run away! :crazy:
This was only a test to see what would happen in the worst case i could think of. So if only a few drops were in there, would a month on the counter settle out the water?

I like to store my wvo outside in open top drums, is this a bad Idea?
Yea yea yea yea I know that is dumb! my oil is in closed drums.

O wait do i need to close the 2 inch holes too?!?! :hehe:

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
This was only a test to see what would happen in the worst case i could think of. So if only a few drops were in there, would a month on the counter settle out the water?

Yea yea yea yea I know that is dumb! my oil is in closed drums.

O wait do i need to close the 2 inch holes too?!?! :hehe:
oil is not shaken like that when you get it, an emulsion like this will settle out but it may take 2 weeks or more in a warm garage.
A few drops put in the oil and maybe "stired rather than shaken" would settle out over night if the oil were warmed to 140*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts