Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have information on prices and where to get a Detroit locker for my 03 F250 7.3? not really interested in air lockers or manual lockers, i have had the Detroit locker in 1 other truck and it is hard to beat for traction.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^LOL!!!!

But seriously, why the need for a detroit locker? LSD rear isn't enough for you?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you ever had one you wouldn't want anything else. Don't have to lock hubs as often. A little wet grass and limited slip is spinning. Limited slip lets the wheel with the least resistance spin so the wheel without traction spins? Wouldn't it make sense for the wheel with the most resistance do the pulling? When in 4 wheel drive the 2 wheels with least resistance spin so the least traction wheels pull? What kind of lockers do you guys have installed?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Yes I had a hummer with front/rear lockers... unfortunately those were only Eatons not Detroits :(

I digress, the stock lsd in my f250 is absolutely amazing. The lsd fires up rather quickly; I have NO complaints about it. Never have trouble in wet grass, mud, snow or ice. Although, I would expect not with the beefy mud tires I'm running.

Between the weight of the truck, the beefy tires, and lsd, I can full-blown race somebody in the snow I get so much traction.

·
Premium Member
8,475 Posts
I agree! If your LS is in working order, it works well.

I think the problem is that too many people follow Fords recommendation and add Way Too Much friction modifier, preventing the clutches from working properly (Ford does it to limit complains about chatter). If you don't hear Any chatter, now & then under special circumstances like very tight turns up hill, the thing's not working! :wink[3]:

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I agree! If your LS is in working order, it works well.

I think the problem is that too many people follow Fords recommendation and add Way Too Much friction modifier, preventing the clutches from working properly (Ford does it to limit complains about chatter). If you don't hear Any chatter, now & then under special circumstances like very tight turns up hill, the thing's not working! :wink[3]:
Agreed. Some synthetic royal purple and NO modifier in the rear does GREAT for LSD guys.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Any real off road time and a ls will slip. They are really a joke as far as lockers are concerned.
A Detroit will never slip under power unless it's broken. In my opinion it's the most solid reliable hassle free locker. No buttons lines wires compressors just push the gas and it turns into a spool. I drove with one on the street forever and you don't even notice once you know how to drive it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's why i am interested in putting one in my f250. If anyone had installed one please let me know where to purchase and any of your experiences.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Summit
4wheelparts
eBay
Amazon
Bronco graveyard
Randy's
Google it they are sold everywhere

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have lockrites in my Bronco II Front and Rear and love em!

Cheaper then Detroits and work just as well. (don't have a clue if Lockrite makes lockers for our type of trucks lol)

One thing you will notice with lockers is, every time you go around a corner/sharp turn... you're gonna get a lot of clunking in the rear. Front is fine as long as you keep the hubs unlocked.

Travis

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Any real off road time and a ls will slip. They are really a joke as far as lockers are concerned.
A Detroit will never slip under power unless it's broken. In my opinion it's the most solid reliable hassle free locker. No buttons lines wires compressors just push the gas and it turns into a spool. I drove with one on the street forever and you don't even notice once you know how to drive it.
Well in my opinion, buying an 8k lb nose-heavy work truck to go offroading is silly. I've been thru some deep **** in my truck with meaty tires and lsd... deep snow, mud, fields and streams and I can assure you, I can feel that lsd kick in and start pushing me along as soon as the tires begin to slip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts