Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have learned alot from you guys about these trucks but Im a little fuzzy on one thing. If I delete my EGR cooler are my deltas as important? I know my oil temp needs to be cooled, but with no egr to bust is the 15* delta as important to watch? What else can I mess up with a bad cooler. Mine now are 8-10* apart. I just ordered a coolant filter, and Im just getting a parts list together and kicking around the idea of getting BDP kit when/if needed. Thanks as always for all the help. Dustin

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,085 Posts
The delta can still be an indication of a plugging oil cooler - even with the EGR cooler deleted, but so can the oil temperature by itself. The delta temp limit was initiated primarily for the protection against an EGR cooler failure. Just remember, without an EGR cooler, there is a lot less heat input into the coolant. Yes I know that the radiator will remove a large portion of it, but your delta's will change without the EGR cooler - probably not perceivably at low loads, but it will be noticeable under load (ie the delta will go up). Best thing is to get to know what is normal with your engine and watch for changes.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my teps ran between eot-204 ect-196 Somewhere through there. Give and take a few degrees depending on the road.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
You may be gettign close but you are not there yet. My coolers were replaced last summer and my deltas have been between 4-9 since, unloaded.

With your delta, I would not worry.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But once the egr id deleted do I have to worry about the oil cooler a much as long as my oil temps arent high?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
whats a delta?

·
7,085 Posts
But once the egr id deleted do I have to worry about the oil cooler a much as long as my oil temps arent high?
Use whatever means you can/have to monitor the condition of the coolant side of the oil cooler. There are two or three common expensive failures in a 6.0L and a ruptured oil cooler (and overheated engine) is one of them. You can use either the delta or the straight oil temp.

Darsey -
The delta referred to is the temperature difference (delta) between the coolant and the oil.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
The temp delta is not as important when the egr cooler is deleted and your 8-10 is fine. That is not to say that it is no longer important. A 15* delta is still an indication that your oil cooler is clogged and needs to be addressed. There have been a number of total engine failures from people running the oil so hot it melted the stand pipe in the filter can and sent melted plastic throughout the engine.

·
7,085 Posts
Your standpipe will not melt at temps anywhere near 235 degree oil temp (this is about 15 degrees above when the engine defuels at 221*F coolant temp) - it takes upwards to 350 degrees. If one is watching their oil temp by itself, he should never be in danger of melting a standpipe - no matter what the delta is.

Oil temps of up to 230 or 235 degrees are not a dangerous situation.

If you want to replace an oil cooler at a 15 degree delta, then it is certainly safer. However, I don't believe your oil cooler (or your engine) is in imminent danger at a 15 degree delta when the oil temps are always below 230.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts