Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a deleted 6.4, and it has a delete tune in it but it's just a basic dpf-r and adds no power. I'm looking at buying a tuner for a little more power and can't decide between a h & s, which would also include a delete tune even tho I don't need it, or an edge tuner. Didn't know what you guys recommend and if I do the edge of I can add a tune on top of the delete or if that causes issues. Appreciate the help in advance 馃憤

Premium Member
If you can find an H&S be careful they went out of business so basically zero support for them. Edge products makes a great MONITOR only device called Insights that are second to none for most diesels. I would spend some time in the 6.4l section of the forum not this part and read what the other 6.4l guys are running. We have a few diehard 6.4l fellas. @Roccafellas and @RandomForumGuy who would be helpful.

Registered
2008 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson 6.4 Dynamic Diesel stage 1 kit, ODD Intake, and way more. 馃挩
If you can find an H&S be careful they went out of business so basically zero support for them. Edge products makes a great MONITOR only device called Insights that are second to none for most diesels. I would spend some time in the 6.4l section of the forum not this part and read what the other 6.4l guys are running. We have a few diehard 6.4l fellas. @Roccafellas and @RandomForumGuy who would be helpful.
Ez lynk with custom tuning
Or sct x4 with custom tuning
If you find someone with an old dashdaq you can use it for monitoring and data pids
Or there are many great apps for bluetooth on your cellular to monitor pids but then you鈥檙e stuck using your phone, I personally run custom tunes
With an old Spartan dashdaq to monitor my temps, I use it for the OBD2 feature incase a CEL pops up, it has many other guages and pids it can monitor which is why I like it.

Ez Lynk tuning from Chris Buhider @ TSD has been amazing for some guys including KC turbos who are using him right now to get some awesome numbers out of there 6.4.

Scott Howe of Scotts performance diesel in Ontario Canada (where I am) is also awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Well first off, you are running a dpfr module yet you say you are looking at a mini maxx and dont need the delete tunes. Are you deleted or no? You are either running a dpfr for no apparent reason or are about to put an emissions compliant tune on a deleted truck... both i dont recommend hahaha

Imo if you want more power (a tuner), you should delete it. It isnt worth the money otherwise because either your emissions tunes will be weak to keep the emissions systems happy or it will get you good power but clog everything up in the long run.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well first off, you are running a dpfr module yet you say you are looking at a mini maxx and dont need the delete tunes. Are you deleted or no? You are either running a dpfr for no apparent reason or are about to put an emissions compliant tune on a deleted truck... both i dont recommend hahaha

Imo if you want more power (a tuner), you should delete it. It isnt worth the money otherwise because either your emissions tunes will be weak to keep the emissions systems happy or it will get you good power but clog everything up in the long run.
It is deleted. I was saying I don't necessarily need the delete tune feature in the mini maxx because I'm running the dpf-r. The dpf-r doesn't add power so I'm looking for a tune for the power side

Registered
2008 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson 6.4 Dynamic Diesel stage 1 kit, ODD Intake, and way more. 馃挩
It is deleted. I was saying I don't necessarily need the delete tune feature in the mini maxx because I'm running the dpf-r. The dpf-r doesn't add power so I'm looking for a tune for the power side
What are all your mods including how you deleted egr and dpf

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are all your mods including how you deleted egr and dpf

Dpf is removed completely by way of aftermarket exhaust and egr is currently just disabled but not yet blocked off. Other than that no other mods other than a lift kit and tires but nothing else associated with the engine or transmission

Registered
Dpf is removed completely by way of aftermarket exhaust and egr is currently just disabled but not yet blocked off. Other than that no other mods other than a lift kit and tires but nothing else associated with the engine or transmission
You鈥檒l want to remove at least the egr get an intake elbow CNS or others offer it for about $50.00 and so easy to install and get delete plates for the coolant jackets to egr coolers before you get a 鈥渞eal鈥 tune it鈥檚 still flowing through your egr valve and soon enough itll clog as @RandomForumGuy ; had said. A full delete is best if you cant afford or have the shop to do the full delete at least add in slip plates, as one other forum member did, but honestly if you have your egr off it鈥檚 not doing anything get rid of the egr coolers gain some access and then do a proper delete and get you some real HP gains, now I don鈥檛 know what state your in but up here in Ontario Canada, emissions are NOT needed so you can do as such, but for best improvement like RandomForumGuy stated you鈥檒l want to remove completely. Best option for longevity as long as you complete a severe maintain schedule not 鈥渞egular鈥 maintenance schedule, meaning oil changes every 5k fuel filters every 10 and coolant DRAIN and REFILL now and every 50k. To protect your oil cooler.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You鈥檒l want to remove at least the egr get an intake elbow CNS or others offer it for about $50.00 and so easy to install and get delete plates for the coolant jackets to egr coolers before you get a 鈥渞eal鈥 tune it鈥檚 still flowing through your egr valve and soon enough itll clog as @RandomForumGuy ; had said. A full delete is best if you cant afford or have the shop to do the full delete at least add in slip plates, as one other forum member did, but honestly if you have your egr off it鈥檚 not doing anything get rid of the egr coolers gain some access and then do a proper delete and get you some real HP gains, now I don鈥檛 know what state your in but up here in Ontario Canada, emissions are NOT needed so you can do as such, but gor best improvement like RandomForumGuy stated you鈥檒l want to remove completely. Best option for longevity as long as you complete a severe maintain schedule not 鈥渞egular鈥 maintenance schedule, meaning oil changes every 5k fuel filters every 10 and coolant DRAIN and REFILL now and every 50k. To protect your oil cooler.

I plan on taking care of the egr the rest of the way in the next few weeks anyway, that's just how I got the truck. Here in Delaware they don't check emissions either so that's no issue. I also already do all my maintenance at those intervals because of all the research I did early on. Overall not looking for crazy hp gains, tho the option to would be nice. Overall tho the truck is my daily and I use it for work and stuff so ideally I'd not like anything crazy on the tune side

Registered
I plan on taking care of the egr the rest of the way in the next few weeks anyway, that's just how I got the truck. Here in Delaware they don't check emissions either so that's no issue. I also already do all my maintenance at those intervals because of all the research I did early on. Overall not looking for crazy hp gains, tho the option to would be nice. Overall tho the truck is my daily and I use it for work and stuff so ideally I'd not like anything crazy on the tune side
Then fully delete the egrs, grab an SCT x4 with generic tune and be on your way no harm but that egr WILL cause you problems. 6.4s are great my work truck ran 370,000KM STOCK until i deleted it, but if your pushing it and want longevity than do as we say and you wont have an issue.

Premium Member
Rocco pretty much nailed it all. The only thing ill add is it sounds like you are planning on using a tuner plus a dpfr to achieve your light power delete tune? (Aka stacking tuners)

If you are i would highly recommend not doing that. Not only may it not work, do nothing, and you be out xxx.xx amount, it may actually do something. And that something is completely make a brick out of your ECU. Mixing brands and tunes is very risky and highly likely to hurt something. H&s or similar = 600ish. New ECU and dealer service= thousands

Registered
Rocco pretty much nailed it all. The only thing ill add is it sounds like you are planning on using a tuner plus a dpfr to achieve your light power delete tune? (Aka stacking tuners)

If you are i would highly recommend not doing that. Not only may it not work, do nothing, and you be out xxx.xx amount, it may actually do something. And that something is completely make a brick out of your ECU. Mixing brands and tunes is very risky and highly likely to hurt something. H&s or similar = 600ish. New ECU and dealer service= thousands
If only others could have heard that advice ^^

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.