Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Truck is 2017 F350 CCSB King Ranch Ultimate 19k miles on the truck. The truck is a work truck towing 8k daily all day stop and go in town towing. Plows snow in the winter.

Trying to decide on if I should purchase the extended warranty it would take me through 2025 or 125k miles or delete and tune the truck.

I want a reliable worry free truck I'm sure to obtain better fuel mileage I would have no choice but to delete. From what I gather the emissions is what kills the truck and I plan on keeping this truck even after I buy my next truck this one will move into the fleet.

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

I'm not to sure what people think of these warranty's does ford stand behind them?

https://fordprotect.ford.com/premiumcare/

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Man, this forum has gone silent. When I joined 2 years ago I instantly paid to be a lifetime member because there were wo many people willing to help and the forum had a lot of substance. Now you're lucky to get one or 2 responses and if delete is mentioned people run scared like the EPA is watching there every move. LMFAO what a joke.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Warranties are so subjective that they’re often not worth it. If Ford decides it isn’t warrantable, or meet their criteria for warranty, it isn’t warrantable. They are judge, jury, and executioner. Not to mention, if they don’t have a repair available, they also don’t repair it. I have a Platinum covered under bumper to bumper warranty and have an issue with the adaptive cruise control but since Ford’s engineers don’t have a software update available, I’m $hit out of luck. Curious if anyone has ever had a positive outcome with an extended warranty. The dealer will probably see your plow mount and Ford will deny any front end warranty claims.

·
Super Moderator
9,256 Posts
Buy the Ford ESP stuff tends to make the Service Departments more willing to fix your problem. No they don't get paid the same but it's work already paid for.

ESP covered mine at least twice where I would have had to pay out of pocket.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Agree with @HeavyAssault. If you are heading in the direction of extended warranty, go Ford ESP. I've had both Ford's ESP and some other 3rd party.....and the 3rd party was a PITA and didn't cover crap at the end of the day. Never had an issue with Ford.

When we bought our 2017 we added the Ford ESP for 8 years so like you, covered until 2025. I went with just 75k miles though since we put on just 5 to 6k per year.

For me, it's all about peace of mind. Our truck is used for hauling our 5er and I wanted coverage for our journeys. Going to remain totally stock too.

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
It’s a gamble either way. I always figure if your going to keep the truck a limited amount of time, like 5-8 years and warrenty can cover that period, than that is clear path. But if your goin to keep it forever (which is rare these days) then the emission stuff is sure to fail and cause failures at the higher miles and as age increases so I’d remove it asap. I bought a 450 that be my last full size truck purchase. It maybe get driven 3-5k a year. I will run through any warrenty periods with relatively low mileage and longevity, both years and miles are my highest priority. All my environmentalist fan boy equipment has been removed.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. It's a tough choice I do plan on keeping this truck forever once it's paid off it will move into the fleet and I will buy another BN truck. The thing is the warranty will cover tie rods ball joints and those things are gonna wear out since there will be a plow on the truck. I figure doing the front end alone a couple of times wil cover the cost of the warranty. But then again I want better fuel mileage and beings I do a lot of in-town towing the emissions crap is gonna be the weak link to the truck.

This is why I keep asking questions cause ya all have dealt with this crap before I haven't. My 6.0 is a great truck but ol blue lacked some of the creature comforts I wanted. I live in my truck 8-12hrs a day. I guess in the wintertime im not in it as much unless it snows then heck who knows how long I could be in the truck. The bottom line is this its a work truck im not looking for anything other than reliability. The sound and smell is an added bonus. If deleting is the way to go. But if I don't delte then I want a warranty so if this emissions crap does cause failure it should cover it.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I set my appointment today for next thursday to get the truck deleted I have to pay in cash which is no big deal. the shop doing it is very reputable and that's all that matters. But I figure the longer I wait the harder its gonna be to get it done. Better get to getten it while the gettens good.

I am trying to decide if I should do the egr or leave it. Have to decide before thursday Thursday so any opinions would be great.

I'm still considering doing the warranty as well. After talking with the shop they're very familiar with my dealers servi e department and said they will look the other way when it comes to repairs. Beings the truck is a King Ranch Ultimate there is a ton of electrical crap that could go wrong. Plus with being a plow truck the front end components will need replaced and they're covered as well.

Do you guys think that's a bad idea and waste of money since the truck is getting deleted?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have heard that some dealers are willing to overlook the weight loss. If you trust the word of the guys doing the delete, then your decision is easy. I would still have a slush fund just in case though.
As for the type of warranty, the ford esp has worked for me a few times

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My dealer is BUT.... If Ford sends out someone to look at the truck he said i could get the hose. They will overlook the mods as long as I dont come in there every 10000 miles with bad wheel bearings and a 45mm offset wheel. But they can work with me.

·
Registered
883 Posts
How's the delete? Did you do the EGR too? I was in the same boat with our 2012...I waited until we hit 100K miles, took about a year from new if I remember right...then did DPF, EGR, tune & exhaust. Loved it. Last I heard one of our employees still had it and going strong at 140K miles. I have lost contact with him and the truck.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How's the delete? Did you do the EGR too? I was in the same boat with our 2012...I waited until we hit 100K miles, took about a year from new if I remember right...then did DPF, EGR, tune & exhaust. Loved it. Last I heard one of our employees still had it and going strong at 140K miles. I have lost contact with him and the truck.
So far so good. Ended up doing EGR block off truck has 20k once I get to 36k Im considering doing a turbo upgrade and will do a full delete at that time. It definitely woke the truck up that's for sure.

·
Registered
883 Posts
So far so good. Ended up doing EGR block off truck has 20k once I get to 36k Im considering doing a turbo upgrade and will do a full delete at that time. It definitely woke the truck up that's for sure.
Very nice and should prove beneficial for the longevity/lifespan of your rig. Congrats!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Brand new truck. Loose mirror, had it 2 days. I call the dealer and am told to bring it by, they'll take pictures all around, then submit a claim request to Ford and let me know in a few weeks.

Warranties? LOL

In their (very weak) defense they're making sure I didn't smack my garage with it or something. But it definitely illustrates the 100% subjective nature of a "warranty". They can deny anything anytime. It's easy to find an excuse.

If an oversize grasshopper smacked the mirror warranty denied.

EGR block off... very very interesting. And the research begins. Going to look at that. Makes me sick they're pumping dirty air back into the engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts