Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up on 100k miles and will be doing a delete soon. I'll be doing the work myself. Here's what I plan on doing to my 14 F350 dually.

SCT X4 (have it left over from old 6.0)
Delete pipe
Block off plates
Donaldson muffler
Already installed Rudys cold side intercooler pipe

My questions:
I want Tyrant tow tune. Is that basically a stock only tune capable of running DPF off?
Do I need any other tune(s) with the X4 to make it delete ready or is the tow tune all I need?

I'm not looking for a loud hot rod. I like the quiet cab. I don't necessarily need more power, truck tows my 15k fifth wheel just fine. I want longevity without all the emission stuff. Do you think I'll be happy with this set up? I don't need SOTF, and if the tyrant tow tune is a stock tune, I'll obviously never need to change tunes.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm coming up on 100k miles and will be doing a delete soon. I'll be doing the work myself. Here's what I plan on doing to my 14 F350 dually.

SCT X4 (have it left over from old 6.0)
Delete pipe
Block off plates
Donaldson muffler
Already installed Rudys cold side intercooler pipe

My questions:
I want Tyrant tow tune. Is that basically a stock only tune capable of running DPF off?
Do I need any other tune(s) with the X4 to make it delete ready or is the tow tune all I need?

I'm not looking for a loud hot rod. I like the quiet cab. I don't necessarily need more power, truck tows my 15k fifth wheel just fine. I want longevity without all the emission stuff. Do you think I'll be happy with this set up? I don't need SOTF, and if the tyrant tow tune is a stock tune, I'll obviously never need to change tunes.

Thanks!

I can't really speak to how Tyrant names their tunes, but with Mini Maxx and PPEI, there's differences in the "stock" and "Tow" tunes. A deleted Stock tune is all factory strategies (fueling, boost, etc) just with all the emissions related stuff turned off. Tow will have different fueling, boost, etc for more power. Tow tunes are absolutely safe and great for reliability/longevity. I run my truck almost exclusively on a tow tune.

As far as the Donaldson goes, it's a good choice, lots of guys running it, BUT, you can't compare your 6.7 to your old 6.0. It's not as obnoxious. I always suggest running what I have before you weld in that muffler. I have a 4" Flo pro straight pipe, but I kept the stock axle-back with that little coffee can looking thing. I have zero drone in the cab at any speed or when towing. I can't even tell I'm deleted unless I roll my windows down. Outside it's just a nice diesel rumble and fantastic turbo whistle.

I can post some video if you'd like.

Also, no upgraded intake??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Elkslayer.

As far as the intake, I didn't think I would need one since I wasn't planning on adding any (or much) extra hp.
I do plan on keeping the stock tips and the small stock "muffler". I'll try it without the Donaldson first. Good idea. I guess I need to get with no limit to see if the tyrant is a stock delete or tow tune. (Their website shows the tow tune as 400 hp which is stock power for a '14). Also since I'm not buying the tuner with the delete tunes already on it, I need to find out if buying a single tow tune is all that I need to load onto my X4 to be able to run deleted.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Buy your X4, then buy your single Tyrant tune, and flash it to the X4, then flash it to the truck.

The Tyrant tow tune is 35-40ish hp over stock--improved shifting, fueling, and power range with minimal egt increase/slight decrease over stock.

Tyrant I think does offer a stock power level delete tune...not sure. I'd run tow over stock strictly for the milage gain and power improvement when towing, with minimal/no impact to longevity in terms of fueling/timing/etc.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy your X4, then buy your single Tyrant tune, and flash it to the X4, then flash it to the truck.

The Tyrant tow tune is 35-40ish hp over stock--improved shifting, fueling, and power range with minimal egt increase/slight decrease over stock.

Tyrant I think does offer a stock power level delete tune...not sure. I'd run tow over stock strictly for the milage gain and power improvement when towing, with minimal/no impact to longevity in terms of fueling/timing/etc.

Good info Beef! Thank you for your insight. Exactly what I was looking for!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I just ordered my parts. Got 4 tunes and a new X4 tuner, delete pipe and NL block off plates. Now waiting on UPS!

After soaking my EGR bolts for the past 3 days, I took a chance to break them free while the engine was hot. 3 were easy, almost loose, while the last one took a little muscle. While the engine was still hot, I sprayed more PB blaster on it and gave it a pull and it broke loose. Lucky me. No broken bolts and no drilling and tapping! Whew!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got all my parts today!

After 3-1/2 hours, working by myself in the driveway, it was all done.

I didn’t get a muffler because I wanted to see how it sounded in the cab with stock tips and coffee can muffler. Well, took a test drive and instantly realized I would need one. Now I’m going to get a Donaldson muffler and hopefully get back to the nice quiet cab I had beforehand (or at least close to it)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Got all my parts today!

After 3-1/2 hours, working by myself in the driveway, it was all done.

I didn’t get a muffler because I wanted to see how it sounded in the cab with stock tips and coffee can muffler. Well, took a test drive and instantly realized I would need one. Now I’m going to get a Donaldson muffler and hopefully get back to the nice quiet cab I had beforehand (or at least close to it)

Really? You have drone/noise in the cab?? I kept mine how you've got it and I can't hear a thing unless I roll down the windows

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really? You have drone/noise in the cab?? I kept mine how you've got it and I can't hear a thing unless I roll down the windows

Yeah, I was disappointed in the noise. I’m going to double check all my exhaust connections to make sure I don’t have a leak but it is definitely louder in the cab

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah, I was disappointed in the noise. I’m going to double check all my exhaust connections to make sure I don’t have a leak but it is definitely louder in the cab

Yeah that sounds strange. Make sure you're not against frame or body anywhere too and that your hangars are isolated.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah that sounds strange. Make sure you're not against frame or body anywhere too and that your hangars are isolated.

I will do that. Thanks for the tip. I only used 1 hanger so I’m pretty sure that’s not the problem but I will double check for any rubbing

·
Registered
412 Posts
I will do that. Thanks for the tip. I only used 1 hanger so I’m pretty sure that’s not the problem but I will double check for any rubbing

No worries. I might even have the Donaldson I bought in anticipation of the same situation but then never used. I'll look in the garage. You can have it if you wanna pay shipping. I'm in AZ.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No worries. I might even have the Donaldson I bought in anticipation of the same situation but then never used. I'll look in the garage. You can have it if you wanna pay shipping. I'm in AZ.

Sounds great! Do you have the 40”? Let me know if you find it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to keep you hangin. I found the Donaldson, yeah it's the 40" with 4" inlet/outlet.

Sweet! Thanks. Sent you a PM

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on the weight loss....

Truck runs great but I do get a little more smoke than I think I should have. Trans shifts have smoothed out but still “feels” weird compared to stock. Once I put more miles on it I’m sure I’ll get used to the firmer shifts. Mileage is unchanged from before. I have only put about 400 miles so far but no change in fuel economy. Kinda disappointed after hearing lots of people getting 1-4 mpg better. EGT temps using Torque pro and stock pyro from DPF runs about 600-700 cruising at 70 mph. All in all I’m pretty satisfied but I am curious to see how a different tune (Tyrant) would perform vs. whoever writes Rudy’s

·
Registered
38 Posts
Update on the weight loss....

Truck runs great but I do get a little more smoke than I think I should have. Trans shifts have smoothed out but still “feels” weird compared to stock. Once I put more miles on it I’m sure I’ll get used to the firmer shifts. Mileage is unchanged from before. I have only put about 400 miles so far but no change in fuel economy. Kinda disappointed after hearing lots of people getting 1-4 mpg better. EGT temps using Torque pro and stock pyro from DPF runs about 600-700 cruising at 70 mph. All in all I’m pretty satisfied but I am curious to see how a different tune (Tyrant) would perform vs. whoever writes Rudy’s

I've been told by the folks at NL that the "tow tunes" just don't work as well as the street tunes on deleted trucks. I'm disappointed in the GH tow tune myself at low RPM, low speed. Taking off from a stop is zero power, then BAM all the power comes on at once and pulls incredibly hard. The shifting is very odd, I've been told this is part of the adaptive shift strategy that gets more aggressive with how you use the throttle. That smoothed out over about 500 miles and I don't consider the shifting to be an issue at this point. The GH tune also doesn't smoke at all, very happy with that part.

Coming from a very well refined 5* DPF-ON Tow tune. Was very happy with the 5* tune except for the obnoxious amount of re-gens when not towing, and excessive oil temps when towing. I just flashed a GH Street tune last night, but haven't left the house yet. I have to winterize my 5th wheel tomorrow so I'm going to pull it out of storage and get that done. I've been told by NL that the GH Street tune is conservative enough that it's safe for a large trailer outside of heavy grades - and then keep an eye on EGT's.

Let me know what sort of support you get out of the Tyrant tunes, I've heard everyone that went from GH to Tyrant were very happy with the results. If I can't get the modified tow tune or street tune to work from NL I may switch or find a custom dyno tuner willing to get the drive-ability sorted out..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been told by the folks at NL that the "tow tunes" just don't work as well as the street tunes on deleted trucks. I'm disappointed in the GH tow tune myself at low RPM, low speed. Taking off from a stop is zero power, then BAM all the power comes on at once and pulls incredibly hard. The shifting is very odd, I've been told this is part of the adaptive shift strategy that gets more aggressive with how you use the throttle. That smoothed out over about 500 miles and I don't consider the shifting to be an issue at this point. The GH tune also doesn't smoke at all, very happy with that part.

Coming from a very well refined 5* DPF-ON Tow tune. Was very happy with the 5* tune except for the obnoxious amount of re-gens when not towing, and excessive oil temps when towing. I just flashed a GH Street tune last night, but haven't left the house yet. I have to winterize my 5th wheel tomorrow so I'm going to pull it out of storage and get that done. I've been told by NL that the GH Street tune is conservative enough that it's safe for a large trailer outside of heavy grades - and then keep an eye on EGT's.

Let me know what sort of support you get out of the Tyrant tunes, I've heard everyone that went from GH to Tyrant were very happy with the results. If I can't get the modified tow tune or street tune to work from NL I may switch or find a custom dyno tuner willing to get the drive-ability sorted out..

Funny you mention the low speed shifting. Same thing with mine. I’ll need to look into the heavy towing up grades. I tow a 14.5k fifth wheel and occasionally go to the mountains of west Texas. I don’t want to have any issues. I do have my Torque pro set up to monitor egt. So far I’ve only run tow tune so I have nothing else to compare it to. I’ll report back when (if) I get the tyrant tune.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts